Dana White on Alistair Overeem in the UFC, Fedor's Emelianenko

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
GYI0063025144.jpg
Dana White went on The MMA Show with Mauro Ranallo to discuss the upcoming UFC 133 card, Alistair Overeem in the UFC, and Fedor Emelianenko's place in MMA history. (That the latter two topics took up the bulk of the interview only goes to prove Brent Brookhouse's point.)

White hammered his point that the UFC refuses to pay management companies in lieu of handing checks directly to the fighters, and that the UFC cannot do business with Golden Glory so long as the latter demands that provision.

The topic moved to Alistair Overeem, who Mauro Ranallo noted would still like to fight in the UFC. Dana White replied (transcription provided by MMA Mania):

"Yes, I would love to have Alistair Overeem in the heavyweight division. If we can come to a deal and we can make this happen and we can pay Alistair Overeem his check when he fights and he can pay Golden Glory, then absolutely we can do a deal."

Mauro then turned the conversation to the recently released Fedor Emelianenko, asking about White's hatred and why he doesn't believe Emelianenko is the greatest MMA fighter of all-time. White, shaking his head, said:

"Did you seriously just say 'the greatest mixed martial artist'? He just got knocked out by a 185-pound, 42-year-old. He's been on this three-fight losing streak. He's fought nothing but cans."

When Mauro ran through Emelianenko's accomplishment, he asked White if his disdain stemmed from never having promoted the Russian. Dana:

I don't Fedor at all. I have no ill will toward Fedor. I don't even know the guy. ... Back in 2005, maybe he was the best heavyweight back then. ... All of you guys out there, you media guys, you're calling him the best fighter ever in MMA history. That's insane. And it has nothing to do with the fact that I never promoted him.