Dana White Now Hands-Off With Strikeforce, Says Showtime Execs Nixed Input

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
UFC president Dana White is going to remain just that.

While the fiery UFC head recently said he was going to take sister company Strikeforce under his wing and bring it to the next level, White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) he'll be hands-off from now on.

"I'll never make that mistake again," White told MMAjunkie.com. "UFC is what I am and where I should have been."

Zuffa, the UFC's parent company, purchased Strikeforce in March 2011. Strikeforce since has struggled to find a real identity, and many MMA fans have wondered aloud exactly how the promotion would carry on. It looked for a while in late 2011 that it wouldn't, but Zuffa officials and Showtime brass – the executives in charge of the premium-cable channel that broadcasts Strikeforce's events – reached an agreement to seek out mutual goals.

Many MMA pundits pointed to the departure of former Showtime exec Ken Hershman as the chief reason the two sides were able to make progress, and White openly expressed his eagerness to make an impact in the promotion, beginning with Saturday's "Tate vs. Rousey" event.

"I never thought I'd say this, but I'm really excited for that fight," White told MMAjunkie.com this past month. "I'm really excited."

White was so excited, he was actually supposed to attend the event in Columbus, Ohio, rather than the previous night's "UFC on FX 2: Alves vs. Kampmann" card in Australia.

But at the last minute, things changed. According to White, new Strikeforce boss Stephen Espinoza decided maybe not all of the changes the UFC boss proposed would find their way into the event.

And, White said, he didn't have the courtesy to even make a direct call, instead preferring contact with fellow Zuffa exec Pete Dropick.

"I almost missed the first UFC fight in 11 years, and then I get the phone call from Pete Dropick when I'm in Japan," White said. "'Yeah, listen, they're not going to change pretty much any of the stuff you wanted.' So I said, ' fuck them.'

"You flew out to Las Vegas and wasted my time. Go talk your boxing shit to somebody else."

White declined to specifically address what changes were proposed and/or nixed beyond "a few minor tweaks that we thought would make the live show better."

However, he did make it clear he thinks Showtime is making a very poor decision.

"These guys are letting a D-level producer run their organization, and that's exactly what I told Espinoza," White said. "You want to let a D-level producer run your organization? Go for it brother. Knock yourself out. I've got shit to do. I've got another job."

What that means for the future of Strikeforce remains to be seen. In the meantime, White said he will abide by the terms of the current deal and do his best to please MMA fan. He just wishes he could have done a little more.

"The positive thing is we own Strikeforce," White said. "Strikeforce is never going to suck. We own it. The fights are going to be great. There's going to be a better in-house show and all that stuff.

"I'm going to do what I'm contractually obligated to do. I'm contractually obligated to Showtime to do certain things, and I'm going to do them."

Fact that he almost went to this Strikeforce event rather than UFC says a ton, Showtime executive's are morons. Like Dana said, fuck em.

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Ughhhhh.

Theres a lot of good fighters on there getting the shaft b/c of this dumb beef. Melendez should be in the UFC by now or at least fighting UFC guys in Strikeforce, but it just doesnt look likely now.

Another two years of bullshit to come. I wish they'd of just done the unifications right off the bat (Diaz/GSP, Hendo/Bones, Melendez/Edgar, etc) and folded SF into the UFC ala Pride and WEC.

What we have now is a roster raped of all its stars, its like UFC is Raw and Strikeforce is Smackdown. Nate Marquardt is a legit great signing for them but does anyone really think hes going to stay there? He'll clean up welterweight and move right back in to UFC.

Ben

Reaction score
Really wish they would of just folded it to begin with, as doing buisness with Showtime seems like it's a pain in the ass. Dana just needs to move Gil up and then let it die for the next 2 years.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty much inevitable, Melendez will end up in the UFC. He wants to be their, and it'll only be a matter of time.

I mean the UFC raped their roster already, but Gil is the one missing piece that they couldn't get.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Showtime is a bunch of idiots. Strikeforce had the potential to finally be something watchable and now... they don't wanna do what Dana wants but instead wants to do what this other guy wants? Do they not see how successful UFC is? Do they not see the revenue that UFC is bringing in?

This is ridiculous.