Dan Henderson Comments on Testosterone Replacement Therapy

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
20110306111843_IMG_3866_JPG_large.jpg
Dan Henderson was the first fighter approved for testosterone replacement therapy in the state of Nevada (for his second fight with Wanderlei Silva at Pride 33). Henderson has remained silent on the issue, but he opened up for ESPN's Brett Okamaoto in light of the current news surrounding Nate Marquardt and Chael Sonnen.

"My levels were so low they were off the charts," Henderson told ESPN.com. "I was always tired and getting sick a lot.

"I couldn't even tell you [how to abuse it]. I've never gone above normal ranges. All I know is that I'm not as tired and I don't get as sick as I used to."

I'm confused about the "I couldn't even tell you how to abuse it" line. Drug abuse is a simple concept: You use a substance for a purpose it wasn't intended or you take a larger dose than prescribed or recommended. You abuse testosterone by...taking more than you should. There isn't some mysterious process one needs to follow.

Henderson also commented on the testing process:

Although he's not officially required to monitor his testosterone levels when not in competition, Henderson says he does to regularly as a precaution.

"I always do it on my own just to cover my own a--," Henderson said.
"The only time people get monitored now is at the fights," Henderson said. "I think it might be good to have stricter monitoring where people are getting tested throughout the year."

Random, out-of-competition testing is the only effective method to control drug use, whether it be regulating therapeutic use exemptions or curbing those pushing the edges. Nevada is resuming their program with new funding. We'll see if other states follow suit.