Dan Hardy Talks Tough UFC Road, Getting Back On Track Against Duane Ludwig

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Losing his last four fights inside the Octagon, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Welterweight contender Dan Hardy is seemingly hanging onto his Octagon career by a thread.

A one time title contender, Hardy has fallen on a rough streak over the last two years after starting his UFC career off impressively with four consecutive wins. While admitting that his title shot may have been a bit premature, "The Outlaw," took the challenge of attempting to dethrone the promotion's 170-pound king, Georges St. Pierre, at UFC 111 in March 2010.

After fighting valiantly for five rounds, including surviving several near fight-ending submission attempts, Hardy came up short in his bid to win UFC gold.

From there, his woes only increased, as he dropped his next three bouts to Carlos Condit, Anthony Johnson and most recently, Chris Lytle. Surprisingly, the British brawler was not cut from the promotion, as it seemed that company owner, Lorenzo Fertitta, appreciated appreciated Hardy's efforts.

Hardy recently spoke to Fight Hub TV to talk about his rough two year stretch, which included the passing of his grandfather, and what he feels contributed to his bad run of luck during his losing streak.

"I had a tough run leading up to the UFC. I've had ups and down throughout my career, fights won and fights lost, robberies and being settled by promoters and stuff. So when I got to the UFC, I kind of felt like that was out of my system. I had a four fight win streak, I felt good, I gained some recognition, and then, kind of all of a sudden I was in a title shot situation. It felt a little early for me but, obviously you don't turn down an opportunity like that. I did a 14 week training camp for it and in the build up for it, I lost my grandfather and that kind of really threw me out. I never think I really got myself back on track after that. He was very important to me and to my career. If it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't have carried on with mixed martial arts through my teenage years. The title fight was tough, but all I could do was give it everything I had, which I do feel like I did do. I had a short break afterwards, but since my profile had been raised, and my recognition grown,it was difficult to kind of get away from it. Everybody wanted to talk to you and wants a piece of you, and all eyes are on you because you stuck it out and went five rounds with the champion so people automatically think you are going to go on and do big things. So, I had a lot to live up to, which originally when I joined the UFC, I didn't really feel like I had to because I was always counted out anyway and my goal was to get to the UFC. The first four fights were kind of a no pressure situation. You know just go in there and just doing what I loved. From the title fight, the pressure started to build and it kind of threw my rhythm out, I lost my swagger. Fortunately, the UFC has given me another shot and I'm going to make the most of it."

With another, and quite possibly his last, chance to earn a victory inside the Octagon, "The Outlaw" looks to make the most of it, as he takes on Duane Ludwig at UFC 146 on May 26, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

I really do think this is his last chance here, it's either win or get cut. The guy has been given chance after chance and STILL lost 4 fights in a row.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
The only thing he has going for him is that two of those losses were against the top of the class. Other than that... he is on his last leg. he has to be on his last leg. One more loss and he is done. That's it.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I would imagine there will be a chance of him getting cut even if he does win in a really uninspiring fashion? Needs a nice knockout or finish me thinks.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I think the main thing saving him is that he is English. So if he has an exciting fight that he wins narrowly he can win. If he is boring... but still wins he'll still be on a short leash. But if he wins nicely... he'll have 2 fights to look forward to unless he keeps winning.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Hes had a tough run no doubt, GSP whos No.1 in the division, Rumble Johnson who weighed 2 classes qbove him on fight night, Condit whos now interim champ and Lytle whos one of the trickiest gatekeepers out there.

Still doesn't excuse it though, people have been chucked out for less. He isn't really all that exciting to watch either.

Reaction score
He is one of my favorite fighters so I hope he can get back on a roll. Seems like since his fight with GSP he has been uninspired.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
He simply needs to win to keep his contract. I can't see how UFC can keep him after five loses in a row. Maybe they can send him to Strikeforce to see if he can work his way back to UFC?