Dan Hardy Talks Matt Hughes, Looks For Summer Comeback

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Dan Hardy knows he is in a must-win situation whenever the UFC signs him to compete inside the Octagon again. Having dropped his last four fights, "The Outlaw" is focusing almost all of his attention on bettering himself in the gym.

When Hardy isn't practicing, he is calling out UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes. Hardy talked about wanting to meet the former UFC champion in an earlier interview with ESPN.com, and now, he is calling out Hughes once again.

"I'd like a May or June return in (Las) Vegas. I want the time to invest with my coaches. And fighting in Vegas means I can do my camp at home where all my coaches are, that would allow me to focus fully on the fight," said Hardy, in a recent interview with ESPN.com. "I've got no opponent or date set. I've been speaking to Joe Silva and Lorenzo (Fertitta's) been watching me train in the mornings."

As for Hughes, Hardy has fired off several comments via Twitter in regards to Hughes' posing with a bobcat that he shot and killed on a recent hunting trip. Hughes has also come under attack from members of PETA for the incident.

"Look at what I killed. Aren't I the man? This is the only thing that cures my impotence," Hardy posted. "There is no justification for what he does. I fight against other people that enjoy fighting also. Shooting animals for fun isn't sport and it certainly isn't cool. I don't have a problem for hunting if there is a purpose for it. I have never read about anywhere being overrun by bobcats though."

Hardy added, "I just don't like seeing it done without a purpose. Shooting a wild cat for fun is a joke. I have many other reasons to dislike Hughes though."

Hughes, who was knocked out by Josh Koscheck in his last fight, stated at the time that he was unsure if there would be a return to the Octagon for him. Nothing has been confirmed in regards to his previous statements.

MMAJunkie.com

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Dan Hardy will be lucky to get another fight, he hasn't looked good at all recently and I don't see UFC offering him a fight against Hughes. He will get thrown onto a live card somewhere down the line, not on a PPV.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Hardy only wants a fight against Hughes because he is pretty sure that he would win against him considering how Hughes performed in his last two fights. Hardy knows he needs a win and knows that a fight against Hughes would just about secure what he needs in order to stay in the UFC. And since Hughes is a well known in the MMA world... it would be more higher profile which means more people would see it and then since the light would be bigger for his win it would help his cause even more. Hardy isn't a dummy. Plus he is saying all the right things too about the whole bobcat hunting trip for Hughes. It paints Hardy in an even better and brighter light. Has to have a real good PR guy to get him to say all of that, notice all of that, and just continue to speak the way he is about it.

That being said... it all depends on if Hughes really wants another fight or if he wants to call it a career. He really has nothing else to prove.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
It isn't a gimme fight though, I could very easily see Hughes beating him.

In fact I'd probs make him favourite, Brits are crap against wrestlers, and Hardy's stand up in very overrated. He couldn't even outstrike Condit and Kos.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I wasn't saying it would be a gimmie fight... but it would be in Hardy's best interest and give Hardy his best shot. And to say that he couldn't outstrike Condit and Koscheck... well those are two very established strikers already so he would have to be an elite striker to stand a chance. So that was kind of a moot point to make.

So yeah Hardy vs. Hughes isn't a gimmie fight... but considering the level of competition in the welterweight... that would be his best. Yeah Hughes can wrestle but his striking is terrible. Hardy would have the striking advantage there which is why it'd work better for him to fight Hughes. Every fight starts standing so... there ya go.