Cub Swanson is the First Fighter to Use Zuffa Accident Insurance

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
cub_swanson_face_large.jpg
Cub Swanson has suffered a lot of injuries over the course of his MMA career, but the ones he suffered on June 2nd might have been the worst of his career. He sufferedBut since it happened to occur one day after Zuffa's new accident insurance for fighters kicked in, Swanson wasn't forced to pay for any of the medical costs. Here's a description of the injury from the MMA Junkie article:

A sparring injury that resulted in orbital, nasal and cheek fractures, as well as a broken jaw. Seven weeks after the injury, the UFC fighter remains on an all-liquid diet.

He spoke to MMA Junkie Radio about the injury:

"Right when it happened, I immediately went to the corner and went, 'I need to take a year off. I'm done,'" he said. "I was so frustrated. You train for months at a time, and it just gets taken away like that."

But his bank account was saved by the new insurance. The plan has a cap of $50,000 a year, and it just so happens that his costs ran right up to the cap:

"I'm officially the first person to ever use it," said Swanson, who used every penny of this year's coverage allotment. "But I guess if I do something, I do it big. That's kind of my thing."

Obviously Swanson is appreciative, like every fighter should be:

"I'm super thankful. I can't wait to get back in there and repay them."

Swanson hopes to finally make his UFC debut in December.