Could Ryback have a more successful career than Goldberg?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Arrow1

CURRENTLY 1-0 IN WWE
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Bleacher Report said:
He’s a big, powerful, muscle bound monster with unending strength, and athleticism. He’s the one named natural disaster whose intimidating presence guarantees a victory every time he’s in the ring.

And he’s not Goldberg.

Sick of the comparisons yet? You should be.

From the moment that Skip Sheffield, formerly of the Nexus, was reintroduced in WWE as Ryback, fans have immediately cried foul at the transformation.

His appearance, his move-set, the fact that every match he works is a squash—there are so many similarities, that it’s almost as if WWE intends on the comparison being made.

Perish the thought.

While I for one do not believe that Vince McMahon’s goal was to produce a Goldberg for the modern era, I will say that I don’t feel WWE is all that unhappy with the buzz from fans about him.

Not that the company is thrilled with another worker’s name being chanted when a current Superstar is in the ring, but the fact is there has not been a lot of work put into promoting Ryback thus far. Yes, there have been some quick “upcoming” spots, previewing his next match, but that has really been the extent of it.

Nothing has really been done to set Ryback apart from any other WWE Superstar, so until they put the marketing machine behind him, they really have no one to blame but themselves.

But the fact is, buzz is buzz. Fans are talking about Ryback, they have taken notice, and at the end of the day, that’s what matters. There is nothing worse than a non-reaction from the crowd, or worse yet, ignoring the Superstar altogether.

In Vince McMahon’s world, all that is needed is for the reaction to take place, and for Ryback to get some attention from fans. Mission accomplished on both fronts.

Now, all that’s left is to work on Ryback the character, and Ryback the worker. And, if anyone can produce the right environment to help this guy become a main event Superstar, it’s Vince and WWE creative.

So, now that we have figured all of that out, back to this crazy Goldberg thing that just will not go away.

Thanks to writers like me. Sorry about that.

While Goldberg remains one of the most highly debated pro wrestlers the business has ever seen, the truth is, he walked away in 2004. His time is done, and he has shown no interest in ever returning to the industry that made him a star.

Ryback’s time is now, and the question becomes will his career live up to that of the six foot, 266 pound goateed wrecking machine that came before him? Perhaps.

Or, perhaps he may just surpass it.

I do not make this claim lightly. What Goldberg accomplished cannot be taken away from him, and despite the clouds that may linger over his career, there can be no denying the impact that he had on the business.

But, Goldberg was Goldberg long before he worked for Vince McMahon. He was a phenomenon in WCW, a living contradiction to that company’s belief that older was better, that firmly established stars should be in the driver’s seat, and pushed to the moon.

Goldberg was the one exception to the rule, and it’s that character that debuted in WWE. He brought all of that spotlight, and that history, with him. He was already custom made for a brand new run in the biggest pro wrestling company in the world.

Ryback, on the other hand, is still a work in progress. He’s a big, muscled up lump of clay, a guy whose only claim to fame was being a member of the Nexus, and that spot died with that faction. He is a clean slate, and now it’s up to WWE to build upon that.

There’s no baggage, no ego, no preconceived notions, or accommodations expected on the part of Ryback. He’s there. He’s hungry, and he’s willing to do what it takes to get over. Right now, he is in that cooperative frame of mind, the one in which he’s told what to do, and he does it. He wants a spot, and will work to get it.

To put it another way, Ryback is Vince McMahon’s creation.

Though Goldberg‘s WWE career has often been criticized, I believe that his run in the company was perhaps not as big, or as relevant, as it could have been, if he had been born and bred in the house that McMahon built.

Goldberg was a WCW guy. Pure and simple. Created and developed by Eric Bischoff, and marketed as the man to beat down South. He was as WCW as John Cena is WWE.

Yes, the Rock, Chris Jericho, Triple H, and Brock Lesnar all did the job to him. And yes, he was the World Heavyweight Champion. But, was he ever truly over?

Like, really over?

Could it be that many fans during that time also considered Goldberg a WCW guy, and responded accordingly?

Again, Ryback has none of these issues. He is getting over based upon what he’s doing, and how WWE is handling him. The Goldberg chants may still be there, but I believe that eventually the chorus will disappear, or be rendered irrelevant by the pop that he is currently getting, and will continue to receive.

His ring work may be rough, but again, he has time to improve. While he’s getting better, and learning to handle himself, WWE fans are learning to dig what he’s doing. And when the time comes for him to start working some established stars, he should be ready, both physically, and mentally.

WWE is prepping this guy, folks. I just have a feeling about it.

When it comes to Goldberg, he was a force of nature that cannot be denied. He accomplished so much in such a short amount of time, and he left an indelible mark on the business forever.

Will we one day say the same about Ryback?

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
He will never be bigger than Goldberg was in WCW. Goldberg in WWF/E is a different story.. the mystique was already mostly gone by the time he showed up there

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
In modern WWE I don't think it's quite possible to be as successful as Goldberg was, I hope I'm wrong though, he's certainly more talented than Goldberg (IMO).

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
He is a more talented worker, but there was just something about Goldberg that is tough to explain via typing words on a message board. Seabs and I have discussed this in Goldberg threads before, but he is the biggest shining example I can give of a superstar having the 'it factor' (no disrespect to my BFF Bobby Roode)

As far as his career being more successful, it just won't happen because wrestling today isn't half as big as it was in the 90s. Nothing WWE could create today could ever reach the level of something like this:

just look at the crowd reactions. You don't even need to hear them because you can see them visibly going apeshit

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Agreed, I think I even said the same so I'll join your little bromance and turn it into a trimance. Goldberg looked the part, had the "it factor" as you say, but if you were looking at RAW talent I'd give the nod to Ryback, who also has a great look imo.

He won't be as successful, but can he still main event and put asses in seats? I would happily say yes atm.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Ryback could absolutely be more successful than Goldberg. Goldberg had the presence and the "it" factor, but it was really the undefeated streak that got him over so well (which is why he lost a lot of his mystique with some people after the streak ended.) And he was only really huge in 1998. He was misused in 1999 (and WCW was going down the shitter in a hurry by then) and by 2000, most of his mystique was gone. It was pretty much all gone by the time he went to WWE and had his shitty one year career with them.

So, in the long run, if Ryback becomes a successful main eventer and has a lengthy career, he could end up having a more noteworthy career.

theVio1ent0ne

Jobber
Reaction score
as much as a fan of ryback as i am i dont see it happening i see ppl geting bored because wwe dont know how to evolve eg a few months back ryback faced jack swagger the first time. swagger beat the holy hell out of ryback . the next week on raw brodus clay beat him in 15 secs making ryback look like spike dudly. so in the end i dont think Ryback will reach the same level of sucess as goldburg simply because wwe dont know how to handle talant

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
Ryback is a more talented worker. He's got wrestling ability. And he already has shown some talking ability in the promos that play during his entrance.

Goldberg was all charisma with very little in the way of technical ability in the ring.

I agree that it's going to be almost impossible to build him the same way Goldberg was built. The business is just too different. That being said, I think Ryback could be as big in the future as Cena is today.

wk

theVio1ent0ne

Jobber
Reaction score
I agree with you 100% but with WWE's inablity to push new talent I honestly dont see him going far.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
theVio1ent0ne said:
I agree with you 100% but with WWE's inablity to push new talent I honestly dont see him going far.

WWE definitely has a moronic way of pushing people. They treat fans like morons who can't connect the dots. Though I think they care too much about Ryback to let him drop off into the abyss. I really see Ryback as a big draw in the future.

I'll be baffled if they don't use one of the big names they have, like Lesnar, Show, Cena or Taker to put Ryback over. Throughout history if they wanted to build a new star they put him over a current star. They seem SO hesitant to do that now.

HHH's last two wrestling matches for example. He put over Undertaker and Lesnar, why? What does that serve? It's simply pathetic that they won't let someone like Ryback, Barrett or some other young buck go over the iconic names who can still work.

theVio1ent0ne

Jobber
Reaction score
The Great White Crayo said:
HHH's last two wrestling matches for example. He put over Undertaker and Lesnar, why? What does that serve? It's simply pathetic that they won't let someone like Ryback, Barrett or some other young buck go over the iconic names who can still work.

Yeah thats triple h for you lol, I think ryback over Sheamus would be a great way to put over Ryback

theVio1ent0ne

Jobber
Reaction score
The Great White Crayo said:
Agreed, like how Henry went over Sheamus last year. Also Big Show. He's just come off a monster heel streak, he still looks strong, have Ryback go over him.

oooooohhhhh just had a visulization of ryback giving show his shell shock