Coach Vladimir Voronov Talks Fedor Emelianenko vs. Dan Henderson

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
fedor-emelianenko_large_large.jpg
Fedor Emelianenko's sambo coach Vladimir Voronov spoke to Anton Gurevich of LowKick.com recently, and they discussed a variety of topics relating to Emelianenko and Russian MMA in general. The biggest topic, of course, is Fedor's fight with Dan Henderson in less than two weeks at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson. Gurevich first asks about Aleksander Emelianeko coming in to help Fedor train for Hendo:

Everyone was surprised to see Fedor and Alexander Emelianenko training together. What kind of effect it had on Fedor's preparation?

Well, first of all, they are brothers. Alexander wanted to train and he joined us for this camp. I consider him to be the second best Russian fighter after Fedor. And that's exactly why having him as a sparring partner was a very positive thing for Fedor.

He then talked about Hendo's recent comments about Fedor maybe having trouble finding the motivation to fight any more:

Henderson recently stated that he thinks Fedor has problems with motivation. What can you say about Fedor's motivation coming to this bout?

Right now, he's very motivated. It's hard to say what will happen during the fight, because it all depends on Fedor. As coaches, we have done and are doing everything in our power to help Fedor reaching the peak of his physical and psychological condition. Now, everything depends on Fedor.

What in your opinion is the key for victory against Dan Henderson?

The will to win.

What does he think about Fedor fighting at 205?

Many people in Mixed Martial Arts community think that Fedor should move down to 205 (93kg). Do you think Fedor will be more effective as a fighter at that weight?

I can't see any sense in Fedor moving down to 205. Why would he do it? To run away from someone? I think that if Fedor returns to the previous workload, today's Heavyweights will struggle against him. The most important thing here is to have the right motivation and training regime. If you want to win, you have to play by the rules.

Voronov also discusses how he feels Fedor has evolved as a fight and gives his opinion on other top fighters in Russian MMA and the UFC. It's a very good read, and you can catch the rest of it here.