CM Punk Speaks Out – PG-Era, MMA, Title Win, More

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Winning the Championship in Chicago: I don’t think it could have gone any better. It’s an awesome feeling and it was a very hostile environment, and I deal well with those kinds of situations. What better place to win the WWE Championship than in Chicago where I grew up and started my wrestling career.

About WWE’s PG-era
: I don’t think the WWE is going to go anything but PG. I don’t see the need for the TV-14 rating because that was the past and we are opening new doors to fans across the world. Swearing to just swear isn’t entertaining to me whatever you’re watching. There are some things I get away with, but at the same time I have to remember it is a family-orientated show. I think the product in general is a lot better when we have to police ourselves, knowing that families are out there watching and listening to every word. The so-called “Attitude Era” is not needed in this day in age of sports entertainment.

Being a Cubs fan
: I think you have to root for whatever sports team your father rooted for, isn’t that the rules? My father would watch every game, and even if he fell asleep, the TV would still be blaring. Good or bad, he couldn’t change the channel. I don’t think I had a favorite player or one I wanted to be, but I was really fond of the catchers. I grew up playing catcher with my friends and in leagues, so they always drew me in. Jody Davis was a great catcher back in the day and was somebody I always enjoyed watching. But you can’t go wrong with Ryne Sandberg either.

Being a fan of MMA
: I remember watching the first UFC. A couple of my friends got together and we heard that it was “no-holds-barred and anything went.” So we ordered the PPV and then later I got to train with Dan Severn in Chautauqua, Ill., and that’s how I fell in love with jiujitsu. I was never the biggest, but I was fast, and look at Royce Gracie, who had the same mold and he was taking out guys who were 150 pounds heavier than him.

WZROnline.com

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I like where he agrees that the PG era is fine and the Attitude era isn't needed coming from Punk that should put people in their places.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
As much as I'd love TV-14 back for the matches being much more hardcore, blood, etc. The TV-14 rating didn't make the Attitude Era, The Rock, Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Kane, Big Show, Triple H and The Undertaker made the Attitude Era great.

The current roster has good physiques and ability to perform aerobically but as far as entertaining on a personal level they pale in comparison to the past. It was about the story/feuds leading to good PPV matches, not about who can up the other with vulgar language, etc.

I'm more than okay with WWE pleasing the kids and the PG Era. Think about it, if we don't maintain a young audience, then the future is down and mma takes over once and for all, so stop bitching and sit back and enjoy.

Is this true though?
They wouldn't be allowed to get away with it by the network anyway.
WWE had to be close to pushing the networks over the edge during that period and had it not have garnered alot of ratings surely they woulda been punished and they were according to Vince, repeatedly they had fines for going too far and a few times the plug was pulled early during live RAW's.

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I like where he agrees that the PG era is fine and the Attitude era isn't needed coming from Punk that should put people in their places.
It should but it won't just will make people think aww Punk sold out blah blah blah. He's right though and TNA is the perfect example of how the T.V-14 rating doesn't mean shit. Think is really stupid how people think blading and some cuss words is just gonna all of a sudden make the product better when if it wasn't it being PG Punk's first worked shoot promo wouldn't have made the impact that it did.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
The quality of actual wrestling matches today and the abilities of today's wrestlers are far beyond 99% of those of the Attitude Era. Granted, back then the fueds where more engaging and there was always something interesting happening that genuinely left you wanted more the next week, but that would not have been if not for the threat of WCW. Back then you'd watch a Rock or Austin segment, then switch channels to watch the Cruiserweights.

Reactions: 1 person

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2

It should but it won't just will make people think aww Punk sold out blah blah blah. He's right though and TNA is the perfect example of how the T.V-14 rating doesn't mean shit. Think is really stupid how people think blading and some cuss words is just gonna all of a sudden make the product better when if it wasn't it being PG Punk's first worked shoot promo wouldn't have made the impact that it did.

Why should it mean so much coming from Punk? If any wrestler would have an issue with the Attitude Era I think it'd be the Straight Edge kinda guy Punk is.

As far as the Attitude Era goes I just don't think they should sacrafice certain types of storylines just because of being PG. But I also agree you shouldn't be doing risque sexual type storylines just to do them their should be a happy medium.

Hatred said:
Is this true though?

Yeah thats true they lost quite a few sponsors in those days for that very reason. Not to mention the PTC being up their asses.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Mostly meant it should mean a lot coming from Punk because he kind of voiced things the IWC bitched about in his worked shoot promos and he is obviously a guy who would have been the biggest heel in the world during the attitude era with his straight edge character.

But anyways the pg thing is the most overacted thing in the iwc history because people act like they just started making cheesy storylines and it's not true as they had a bunch of corny shit back then. People loved too cool at the time but that gimmick was corny as hell and is "pg" If storylines suck it isn't because of the rating it's because of the people writing it or the lack of effort the people in it put into the storyline. Stuff like HHH breaking into a house, Orton laying out Stephanie, HBK's wife getting hit in the mouth, etch have happened during the "PG era" so I never get people always trying to blame it whenever something they don't like happens.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
O I agree I mean the perfect examples of a spot where the attitude era was misused ; Katie Vick, Kiss my ass club, and Vince McMahon trying to sleep with the divas. But I don't think it should be squeaky clean either like some people claim it should be muddled just like the real world.

But saying Punk says it therefore its true is just absurd. Not naming any names.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
The reason Punk saying it is important is because he has a very large IWC following and it is mainly the IWC crowd that dislikes PG WWE. So by having Punk say it, a guy that always speaks his mind and doesn't tow the company line all the time, it may convince some of those IWC Punk fans that the PG rating doesn't actually mean anything and it all comes down to the quality of the wrestlers and the writers.