Christian Cage discusses AEW run

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Christian Cage says Jon Moxley played a big role in bringing him to AEW.

Cage returned to the ring in the men’s 2021 Royal Rumble match but was not under WWE contract when he did so. He recently told Chris Van Vliet that he’d had some discussions with the company but “never got as far as numbers or anything like that.” When Moxley found out he wasn’t signed, he told Cage that he’d be “an idiot” if he didn’t reach out to Tony Khan.

“A friend of mine, Jon Moxley, called me and we were talking and when he found out that I wasn’t signed he was blown away by that,” Cage said. “And he said you should have a conversation with Tony Khan. I was like, I don’t know. And he said, Well, you’re actually an idiot if you don’t, you hold all the cards here. He said you have the ability to pick where you refinish your career.”

Many fans, as well as Tony Khan and Cage’s longtime friend Adam Copeland, have said he is doing the best work of his career right now in AEW. Cage says he’s been working like he has seven lost years to make up for.

“So like I said, when I got my career back after being retired for seven years, it was a gift to get it back. And it wasn’t just enough to get it back for me,” Cage continued. “Okay, I got it back, that’s great. Now, it’s like, how far can we push it? How far can we go with it? I had seven years of lost time to make up for, I didn’t feel like I had accomplished everything that I accomplished. Was I content with what I accomplished? Yes. But did I feel like I’d accomplished everything that I could accomplish? Not even close.”

Cage’s promos regarding the deceased fathers of Jack Perry and others have been a notable part of his AEW run. Cage says he’s never run his promos by anyone or had them cleared ahead of time. He saw an opportunity with them and ran with it.

“I’ve never told anybody what I’m gonna say,” Cage said. “Never had it cleared with anybody. I’ve never asked anybody, I just go out there and do it. It’s one of those things, you have to be willing to go places that others are unwilling to go in order to stand out, especially in this day and age. I saw an opportunity that I could jump on, I took it and I rode it, and sometimes things happen you’re not expecting to happen. I said one phrase and it turned into a wildfire. I just embraced it and ran with it.”

Regarding a timeline for retirment, the 50-year-old says he’s not even thinking about that.

“I always said that I would do it till it wasn’t fun. And that was my barometer on it. How can I not be having fun right now? have no timeline, I signed a contract. I think I have another three years left on this contract. So we’ll get to the end of that, and then see what happens. But you know, I feel like, I have a lot of knowledge. I feel like I don’t know everything, but I know a lot. And I feel like, I think the business differently and I layout matches and I see matches differently than other people do. I would like to, at some point, when the time is right to obviously give back to the business that has done what it’s done for me.”

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
People doubting Tony when he said Christian was a hall of fame signing. Those people were wrong