Chris Lytle Will Retire After Tomorrow's UFC on Versus 5 Bout With Dan Hardy

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
LytleHardy_large.png
Tomorrow night at UFC on Versus 5, you will be watching Chris Lytle for the last time in MMA. He spoke to NBC Sports late tonight and admitted that he is retiring after tomorrow's bout with Dan Hardy. Here's what he had to say:

"I've been fighting since '98, fighting forever, a lot of it is just that I'm not doing my responsibilities like I need to at home," he said. "I feel like I'm not being the type of dad I want to. I got four kids and lots of times I feel just an immense sense of guilt for not being there in times when I should."

"I just feel like I have a lot of things in my head that I feel guilty about," he said. "I have a great time fighting, and I love fighting — I want to do it all the time — but I think that sometimes it's time for me to not think about what I want and start thinking about what's best for other people."

He told the UFC about his decision earlier this week, and handed Dana White a letter at today's weigh-ins, which he stated was a thank you letter. He has been linked to a possible run for office in his home state of Indiana, but he said that didn't influence his decision.

Lytle (30-18-5) has been steadily employed by the UFC since 2006 on this run, but also fought for the organization in 2000 and 2003-2005. Of his 43 career fights, 19 have taken place in the octagon where he's gone 9-10, and he was a finalist on The Ultimate Fighter 4. He has won an incredible eight bonuses in his tenures, including five fight of the night checks. In 43 fights he has only been stopped twice, both due to cuts. He was never submitted or knocked out, despite taking some huge damage in fights.

While Lytle was never able to put together a serious welterweight title run, he was always one of the most entertaining fighters in the division and showed unmatched toughness time and time again. He will be missed, win or lose tomorrow.