Chael Sonnen Says His Offer to Anderson Silva Has Been Rescinded

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
Chael_Sonnen_500x325_large.png
Love him or hate him, Chael Sonnen gets people going. UFC 136 was one of the best cards of the year, but the main talking point coming out of the event was Sonnen's post-fight speech after crushing Brian Stann where he called out UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. He basically offered him something known in pro wrestling circles as a "loser leaves town" match, and since Anderson has apparently not stepped up to accept, Chael is rescinding the offer. He was a guest on the Jim Rome Show yesterday, and let everyone know what the deal is. First he explains why he did it in the first place (transcription by MMA Nation):

That was a spur of the moment type of thing. I'm trying to pick a fight with this guy. This is the most confusing thing I've ever been part of in this sport. You've got an alleged champion letting me talk to him that way while he sits fifteen feet away ... with his head down. You've got a guy like me sticking his finger in his chest day after day, hour after hour, and he can't say a word. The one time he finally speaks up is to say 'I don't want the rematch. I don't want to fight you.' I don't understand how we can can this guy champion.

Then he pulls the plug on the deal, but leaves the barn doors wide open for a new one:

That offer was good when I made it, but it's like any offer, you know, they've got to expire. Apparently, that didn't work. I'm doing anything I can to lure him out, and yes, I would have absolutely done that. I'd have done a winner-takes-all, I'd have done any stipulation he wanted. All he needed to do was stand up and give me a thumbs up. He wanted to accept that offer, all he needed to do was nod to me, or have one of his handlers come into the back and says 'Anderson accepts.' He did the exact opposite. He went to the media and said 'I do not want to fight that guy.' So what can I do? Now I have to come up with a new offer.

The whole interview is full of typical Sonnen bluster, and in my opinion it's pretty funny. You can catch the audio below the jump if you want, or check out some more transcribed gems over at MMA Nation.