Cesar Gracie Talks Nick Diaz vs. George St. Pierre at UFC 137

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
gsp_diaz_2_large_large_large.jpg
It's not exactly shocking that Nick Diaz's coach Cesar Gracie has a lot to say about Nick's fight with Georges St. Pierre at UFC 137 on October 29th. Besides the fact that another Gracie disciple, Jake Shields, just fought GSP, Gracie just really likes to talk. This time he was talking to FCFighter.com, and was (somewhat surprisingly) pretty complimentary towards St. Pierre. Most of the time, anyway. What does he think of GSP's style?

"The thing is it’s really not my business how he fights; he’s not on my team, so, I truly don’t care how he fights," said Gracie, while discussing the criticisms St. Pierre has received. "Now if you’re asking me as a fan, yeah, that style is not what I like to watch. I like to watch guys that just go completely for it, take chances, and give crowds what they want, which is ‘Ultimate Fighting,’ not ‘ultimate stalling’ or anything like that."

I know, he took a shot at GSP pretty much right away. But after that, he's pretty respectful. Seriously. When asked if he thought St. Pierre would approach a fight with Diaz the same way that he approached a fight with Shields, Gracie had an interesting take on things:

"I think he’s going to approach this fight somewhat like the BJ Penn fight," said Gracie when asked how he believes St. Pierre might approach Diaz in contrast to Shields. "I think he’ll try to fight Nick the same way where he’ll tie up with him, try to keep him up against the cage, do a little dirty boxing and try to get him arm weary, maybe get some takedowns and see how that goes. He’ll probably be cautious from the top position but try to inflict damage depending on how it’s going."

"Georges is a great athlete and a pretty smart fighter," added Gracie. "His athleticism often lets him dictate where the fights going to go, and if he’s comfortable where he can take the finish, without taking too many risks, he will."

Gracie also talks about how Nick Diaz can "play the game", which is something Dana White mentioned a while ago regarding Diaz being successful in the UFC. In addition, he discusses whether he thinks Strikeforce will live on, and what they should do with another one of his fighters, Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez.