BTB Trends

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
So, after looking at the current roster of active BTB's, it's pretty interesting to see how much the section changes because of one thing or one successful BTB. Here's what I have as some trends.

The Indy BTB - HEW was one of the first of it's kind, without having that many huge WWE superstars. It continued when someone (no clue who) came out with Pro Wrestling PRIDE, and that's probably where the trend in booking began. We had BKB, Gards, Lennie, and a bunch of others try a BTB with ROH/Japanese/Jr. Heavyweight guys in it. We still see this influence, as guys like Bryan Danielson, The Briscoes, and Austin Aries are featured more and more in BTB's.

The Partnered BTB - Hands down, the most successful partner BTB was SWA. There have been tons of other bookers that tried to emulate their success, but I can't even remember one that lasted that long, except for WWE vs ECW. I never really was a fan of this, because things can get so messed up if someone is late just once.

The BTB with Ric Flair as GM - yeah.

The 2009 BTB - I'm pretty sure that Michael1 was the first to have a BTB like this. It seemed like the BTB was pretty good, and it caught the eye of the section's top guys. So as always, people started doing the same. There are still a couple of those BTB's around, and I think they've done pretty OK.

WWE/TNA BTB - There was/is The Commencement and XBA's Raw. Those were the two most successful. Most of the bookers have already tried one, and they've had decent success. It's the simplest idea, but it could work the best.

Future Trends - What to watch for

Past BTB's - Any BTB that falls before the present is in this category. I'm surprised that not many people have done what XBA has done with Raw, setting it in the past, and making what you want happen.

Story BTB - Something that features the growth of a promotion. I've tried to do this with my BTB, but I forget it most of the time.

Extreme BTB - Anything that's like hardcore and is controversial should start something.

Moonlight Drive

H4H said:
Past BTB's - Any BTB that falls before the present is in this category. I'm surprised that not many people have done what XBA has done with Raw, setting it in the past, and making what you want happen.
Dammit, my new BTB~! Spoilers :gun_rifle:

I have a feeling a lot of people will try a 'story' BTB. I've thought about doing something like it in the past, but it would just get too complicated. An 'Extreme' BTB would more than likely be a flash in the pan, writing constant hardcore matches wouldn't last long imo.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
that's what I was intending for PRIDE to be since the start, a Story type of deal. if anyone really noticed, the weekly shows aren't "TV Shows" and PPV's aren't "PPV's" like a top class indy promotion. and small stuff like the venue and even the superstars is pretty thought out too.

WCW Rules

Reaction score
Well, before I came here, I've done retro BTBs (One WCW 2001 in which WCW defeated WWF and acquired their talent, and one GCW 2001 BTB), I've done WWE BTBs, all set within the time period I wrote 'em, and I've done several variations of what you would consider a Indy BTB; whereas your's and other's BTBs are indy, meaning local or regional, I go global and create a Mainstream Created Fed in which japanese/indy/luchadores make their home with other established stars, a la WCW in the mid 90s, hence Global Championship Wrestling. You should just call Indy BTB, Created Federation, because some created federations are not Indy, they're more like WWE and TNA.

comicgeekelly

Reaction score
I really don't know where POI would fit in. I'd like to think that I use semi-big names, but my shows have an indy feel.

Moonlight Drive

POI wouldn't be part of a trend, more of the staple BTB promotion, no real 'theme' so to speak.

-TJ-

Where should OMEGA go? I have WWE Stars, Some Indy Wrestlers, my btb will have wrestlers form TNA ~ Hint Spoiler!!!!!!!!

Gards Jr.

Reaction score
My indy BTB was before Pride happened I think, anyway, I ghave been the onuy one of a kind person to never be copied with CWA HAHAHA

The Leviathan

Reaction score
Cruiserweight BTB's - Gards started it with CWA, and now I am trying to put it out in OMEGA: The Rebirth. I am trying to put a roster with lots for cruiserweights and hardcore wrestlers.

Crossover BTB - It started with SWA vs. HEW :D and then next is the Trios Tournament.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
I wouldn't call a Created BTB or a Cruiserweight BTB a "trend" because it hasn't affected most of the section like the ones I listed. Created BTB's will never get old, it seems like the most comfortable for everyone.

My indy BTB was before Pride happened I think, anyway, I ghave been the onuy one of a kind person to never be copied with CWA HAHAHA

I was like a month or two ahead. That was when I used to post shows every week, and the first Joe vs Punk match.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Calling my old BTB indy is a bit off. It was a WWE reject BTB, mixed in with young WWE stars. I didn't have any true indy guys.

Qwake

And with my old BTB it was all young guys from WWE, TNA and Indies. It was a mix and they weren't all high flyers like CWA either :eek:

xtremebadass

The BTB with Ric Flair as GM - yeah.

Hehe...anyways, good job here H4H, this is a great topic to sort of break down the types of BTB's possible. It gives new bookers a choice of which BTB could be the most successful.

CHEAP PLUG: Be sure to check out my match in the IWF Olympics, just because my BTB is on hiatus, doesn't mean I quit entirely.