Bruce Prichard Says Eddie Guerrero's Race Almost Kept Him From Winning The WWE Title

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Buffy

The Vampire Slayer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
bretthart
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Brock Lesnar, who dominated everything in his path between 2002 and 2004, quit WWE after WrestleMania XX, leaving a spot open on the top of the card on SmackDown.

According to Bruce Prichard, who was a part of SmackDown's creative team those years, the performer who benefitted the most from Lesnar's exit was Eddie Guerrero. Prichard paid tribute to Guerrero's career during his recent Something To Wrestle With Bruce Prichard podcast.

"I think that Eddie did [benefit the most], and it was from a place of looking at who's going to be the next guy," said Prichard. "Who are we going to focus on to take us to another level? Kurt [Angle] was discussed in all these different things, but we had never had a champion like Eddie Guerrero. Eddie was over."

At No Way Out 2004, Guerrero defeated Lesnar to capture his first and only WWE Championship.

"He was primed for the picking, and Eddie was, when you looked at the roster, probably the least probable to be the champion. But also, [he was] the real logical choice that you would choose to be the champion," said Prichard of Guerrero's ascension to the top of SmackDown.

However, Prichard revealed there was pushback backstage from people who felt Guerrero was not World Championship material.

"So he had it all, and I think a lot of people felt that it was a bad decision," he recalled. "[They] felt that Eddie was too small, and the fact that he was Mexican. All these things were like, 'Ah, he's a little guy'. I don't know. There was just opposition, but in the end, I remember thinking, 'he's the guy.' He was just the guy at that time, and I think Eddie needed that title."

Prichard felt that Guerrero defeating Lesnar was the perfect underdog story that fans could get behind.

"It was the premiere of the underdog victory, defeating the big bad monster in Brock Lesnar and Eddie Guerrero overcoming everything," he said. "In addition to that, you look at the human being of Eddie Guerrero and what Eddie had accomplished in his career and his life. The struggles that he had throughout everything to now be the man.

"Not only that, but to be able to perform at the level that Eddie was able to perform and kill it every night? So, I was proud of him. I loved him to death and was just so happy for him," added Prichard.

Unfortunately, Lesnar and Guerrero never faced off again although they had instant chemistry in the ring. Prichard felt fans would have welcomed a long-term feud between the two superstars.

"I think they could have [had more matches], because I think it was the way that Eddie worked with Brock and the way that Brock worked with Eddie." he said. "They knew how to work with, and for, each other. So it was essentially the first time in looking at it, going, 'Hmmm. You know what? This could work.' Brock was able to accentuate Eddie's positives and vice versa."
Source: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2...s-eddie-guerrero-race-almost-kept-him-677189/

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
Headline doesn't surprise me at all.

In terms of Brock and Eddie working together long term, Brock excels with working with guys smaller than him and Eddie could work with a broomstick. I'm sure they would've have a ton of great matches, it just wasn't in the cards. Their one match was a classic though.

Reactions: Keith and Vegeta

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
With Bruce spilling the tea like this, is back on the outs with Vince? I heard rumors that the lead writers position was open.

Considering it took 20 years to get Kofi the belt, after the Rock won it in 1998, it doesn't surprise me, though.

That and being small. Which is why I laugh when people say WCW held down guys like Eddie. He had the exact same spot after jumping.

Reactions: Vegeta

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
He isn't naming names.....over thinking this one.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I don't know if under-representation in the entertainment industry is necessarily a newsworthy thing at this point. :lol Of course there were people in the company who would be hesitant to push him because of his race. Especially in 2004. Thankfully they did the right thing.

Reactions: Chris

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
If they hadn't, we'd have missed MAGAshaw being so ahead of his time. :proud

Reactions: Hoss

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Talk about chemistry. JBL and Eddie was a GOAT-tier clash of styles and characters.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Okay, Bruce. What about Pedro Morales?

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Naw but I'm not gonna believe a racist headline about a world champion in the same company, when they already had a Hispanic Champion 30 years before.

Last edited:

Buffy

The Vampire Slayer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
bretthart
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
I'm glad that this was discussed, honestly thinking about it right now. Eddie Guerrero was a main eventer in the making since he was gaining more popularity than the other stars on Smackdown not named John Cena. Eddie proves that you can get a push but it depends on if the corporate machine gets behind you. His match with Brock will always be in my top 5 favorite Eddie Guerrero matches of all time.

Reactions: Keith and Hoss

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
That Bruce holds back and doesn't mention any names I think is him playing the politics game a bit (not trying to burn any bridges and all that), but its always sad when race is held against someone. In the end they came to the right decision and it was done on the merit. Say what you will about Prichard but he got the underdog storyline push for Guerrero spot on. Might be one of his best bits of creative. Another thing to consider is that Vince as a business man always has a interest in appealing to new markets.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Wild to think a man with so much talent would have been held back for that....I mean, as everyone else has mentioned, not really surprising, but, imagine a guy like Eddie not getting a chance because of his skin color, that’s just mind blowing that people are so shitty, that’s a factor.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I don't think him being Latino is the ONLY reason he was held back. I do think it played a part.

Eddie was at his biggest in 04 and even then he was small by WWE standards. And let's not forget he was fired 2-3 years before.

It took guys like Eddie and Benoit forever to reach the top cause they didn't fit the WWE mold at the time. Sad truth.