Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem Official for December 30 UFC Event

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
GYI0062157160.jpg
According to the Los Angeles Times, professional wrestler turned mixed martial artist Brock Lesnar will return to the Octagon on December 30th at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada to battle former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem in a five-round main event match-up:

Brock Lesnar will return to the UFC octagon in a five-round main event Dec. 30 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, facing newly signed former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem.

"Brock is a big name, a dangerous guy, and this is a dream matchup," Overeem told The Times on Tuesday, just after signing a standard UFC fight contract in the office of Chairman Lorenzo Fertitta. "Brock's a big guy, an exciting wrestler with his takedowns.

"I want to see this fight myself. Overall, I'm a different fighter. A striker, athletic, big. These are going to be two big trucks going at it on a collision course."

Lesnar has been on the shelf since May after having surgery to remove a portion of his colon that was affected by a second encounter with diverticulitis. He was previously scheduled to face Junior dos Santos at UFC 131 in June for title contention, but he was forced to withdraw due to the relapse. December 30th will mark over one year since Lesnar was last seen inside the Octagon.

Overeem was released by Strikeforce at the beginning of August over a stalemate in contract talks. Those concerns have obviously been rectified as Overeem has now signed to fight under the UFC banner, something he's been asking for publicly for awhile. Overeem has had quite the run in the last year, winning the K-1 World Grand Prix title along with defeating Fabricio Werdum in the quarterfinals of the Strikeforce heavyweight Grand Prix tournament. He'll surely add some depth to a division that's dying for title challengers once Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos go to battle on November 12.