Britt Baker comments on reaction to Taya Valkyrie Dynamite match

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
05-britt-baker-vs-taya-valkyrie_2023_07_26_-aew_dynamite_0020.webp

Britt Baker has commented on her match against Taya Valkyrie last month.

Baker defeated Valkyrie on the July 26 AEW Dynamite in Albany, New York. Many fans have been critical of the match and Baker was asked about the negative response during a recent interview with DAZN.

"I was really surprised by it," Baker replied. "I think I've had way worse matches on AEW live TV. I've had better matches, of course, but I was really surprised. I think a lot of it came from people who just don't like me on social media and I feel bad that Taya kind of got dragged into it."

At one point during the match, Baker and Valkyrie had timing issues on a Road to Valhalla. Valkyrie can be seen having a bit of a laugh after they failed to execute the move properly.

"I think probably every week since then there's been mistiming and miscommunications and messed up spots on every wrestling show and no one else got quite that much blowback and that's fine," she continued. "But these social media trolls need to realize who they are dealing with. I'm the DMD, I'm the face of the division for a reason."

"You're just gonna motivate me to be even bigger and better and that's fine. I don't think anybody should ever have to go through the bullying that these trolls do, and it's not just me, it's everybody. I think every wrestler goes through it. Everything from what you look like, to what you wear, to what your hobbies are, to then you're wrestling and you don't deserve the spot you're in and it's someone else's spot. Something's always your fault and you might not even have anything to do with it but because they don't like you they automatically assume it's your fault. It's so frustrating because you want to just shout from the mountaintop, 'Hey, this is the real story and now you guys can line up to apologize to me' but you also have to think what's best for business. It takes a lot of patience and self-control."

Baker vs. Valkyrie didn't receive a star rating from our own Dave Meltzer but currently holds a rating of 2.42 out of 10 on Cagematch. It's the fourth lowest rating Baker has received on the website, only better than matches she's had against Big Swole, Madi Wrenkowski, and a tag match with Rebel against Nyla Rose and Vickie Guerrero. It's the second-lowest rating Valkyrie has received on the website, only beating out a gauntlet match at Impact Slammiversary in 2020.

Baker's highest-rated match from Meltzer and Cagematch was her Lights Out bout against Thunder Rosa. It received four and three-quarter stars from Meltzer and 8.72 out of 10 from Cagematch. Valkyrie's highest-rated match according to both Meltzer and Cagematch was 2015's Aztec Warfare in Lucha Underground, which received four and one-quarter stars and 9.10 out of 10.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I didn't think it was nearly as bad as the online discourse either

Butters

That's Me!
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn’t even notice it was bad :shrug:

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I saw Alvarez and Meltzer talk about it.

Haven’t seen it myself so I can’t judge

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I didn't catch the match. But I will say every other Taya match I have watched on AEW, I don't see why people think she's even decent, at least not anymore. She looks like she's power walking when she is "running" around the ring. I personally think it makes the match look like shit, like we're doing a practice run out there for a match that will later be on tv.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I could not disagree either you more

Rosie

Neo Genesis
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I think I remember some of the discourse after that match. I never saw it so I can't attest, but maybe both girls had an off night? Still there were comments by people that stretched FAR beyond what is considered a "critique" and more were disgusting, especially since I remember there was a lot of fat shaming comments to Taya and more.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon