Breaking: Renan Barao Out of UFC 177, Joe Soto Meets T.J. Dillashaw for Title

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swinny

Reaction score
Renan Barao out of UFC 177, Joe Soto meets T.J. Dillashaw for title

SACRAMENTO – In a stunning development, former bantamweight champion Renan Barao is out of his UFC 177 main event rematch with T.J. Dillashaw – the day before the fight.

According to multiple reports, including one at Brazilian news outlet Globo, Barao (32-2 MMA, 7-1 UFC) became ill during the weight-cutting process and was taken to the hospital. His fight against Dillashaw (10-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) tomorrow is off.

Instead, UFC newcomer Joe Soto, a former Bellator MMA champ, will move up the card – and will fight Dillashaw for the title in his promotional debut. UFC officials announced that news about one hour before the UFC 177 weigh-ins in Sacramento.

Stay tuned to MMAjunkie for more on this story as it develops.

MMAJunkie.

Wow. Just wow. Jorgensen vs. Cejudo was called off too, but this one... wow.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
From what I've gathered it was from dehydration sickness. Damn shame, but I imagine this knocks him out of contender status and sets up with the winner of Cruz/Mizugaki. Assuncao will probably be the next one to get the title shot with a win over Caraway.