Bobby Lashley One Step Closer to the UFC?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

xtremebadass

Former collegiate wrestling champion and WWE import Bobby Lashley (2-0) hasn't shot up the ranks of MMA quite as fast as fellow professional wrestler and current UFC interim champion Brock Lesnar.

But that's just fine for Lashley, who has said he's interested in developing at his own pace.

But on the most recent episode of ESPN.com's "MMA Live," Lashley said he definitely wants to make his way to the UFC - and he'd be willing to go through "The Ultimate Fighter" to do it.

"Everybody wants to be in the UFC," Lashley said. "It's the pinnacle of this sport, so of course I want to be there."

The UFC is holding open tryouts for "The Ultimate Fighter" in Seattle on Monday. Heavyweights are being sought out for the process, and Lashley told "MMA Live" co-host Kenny Florian he's mulling over the idea of making an appearance.

"I think [appearing on 'The Ultimate Fighter'] would be something great," Lashley said. "I saw that, and they said, 'Heavyweights,' and I was like, 'Yeah, let's jump on it.'

"I think it would be great because what I'm trying to do right now is prove myself. And on 'The Ultimate Fighter,' you have to prove yourself. I talked it over with my management and my trainers and everything, and they have mixed opinions on it - if I should go there, or if I should stay out and do different fights."

The American Top Team fighter has earned victories in his first two MMA contests, but admits he's still got a long way to go to reach the level he someday hopes to attain.

"This is a building process," Lashley said. "When I get to the UFC, I want to be a serious contender for the title. I don't want to just be another guy going into the UFC because it's a grand stage and build there. I don't think that's what I need to do.

"I need to stay in the undercard, and stay in some of the smaller fights, and get more fights under my belt - get some fights like my last fight where it doesn't go the way that I wanted. I've got to seal the deal. There's a lot of learning in this game."

And could that learning possibly be helped by the world-class coaching cast members of "The Ultimate Fighter" undoubtedly receive?

"I'm open to anything," Lashley said. "I'm open to suggestions. If that's the route [my management] wants to send me, then I'm going to go."

I heard his tryout from TUF10 didn't go so well. His BJJ was terrible. His standup was pretty solid though.

TeamPunishment0

Reaction score
He is still young as a fighter he will eventually fight in the ufc someday, i say late next year

xtremebadass

I think Dana would knab him sooner than later. Lashley brings more than the average MMA fan, he like Lesnar brings the wrestling fan too. Although more wrestling fans still care for Lesnar more than Lashley, Bobby would still cause some sort of commotion.

MikeRaw

I'd like him to get to UFC. Imagine him vs Lesnar?
The only problem would be that pro wrestling would be losing some pretty big steam. Guys will start realising that they can make it in the UFC, and MMA, and have real competition, and not need WWE or wrestling in general. With that beign said though, I wouldn't mind him in UFC. He wouldn't have to cut promos, right? :laugh:

Reaction score
I'd like him to get to UFC. Imagine him vs Lesnar?
The only problem would be that pro wrestling would be losing some pretty big steam. Guys will start realising that they can make it in the UFC, and MMA, and have real competition, and not need WWE or wrestling in general. With that beign said though, I wouldn't mind him in UFC. He wouldn't have to cut promos, right? :laugh:

If Undertaker were 10-15-20yrs younger he probably woulda transitioned from wrestling to MMA.

xtremebadass

I highly doubt he will be in the UFC. I heard Lashley did sign a multi-year deal with TNA. Dana White specifically said that he doesn't want pro wrestlers juggling both careers in UFC and a wrestling promotion. That's what he said when Kurt Angle wanted to try UFC. If Lashley wasn't signed, than I would say yes, yes he would go to UFC, however I think he screwed himself.

Oh, and if Dana didn't sign Angle, a much more superior athlete, why would he sign Lashley? lol

LKP

Bobby Lashley defeated Mike Cook in 24 seconds via submission at last night's MFC 21 event. While Cook didn't have any major wins on his record, he has competed against WWE
Tough Enough 4 winner Daniel Puder.

Cook incensed Lashley by entering the cage in a lucha libre mask.

"I'm here for business," Lashley said. "I'm here and everyone wants to and tries to make fun of the wrestling thing. I'm real. If they want to play around, I'll knock them out or choke them out. And that's what I did. I choked him out and made him pay. Now he can go put the mask back on and have fun with himself."

The former WWE Superstar remains undefeated with a 3-0 record in MMA. He is slated to face Bob Sapp next month.

Looks like sapp vs lashley should be a damn good fight.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
MFC is reportedly angry with the referee for waiting so long to halt Lashley. Dude was out cold for a while after the fight the other night.

If Lashley defeats Sapp, there's very little doubt he'll head to UFC, probably have a match with Frank Mir if Mir doesn't beat Lesnar, and then that'll set up a fight between Lashley and Lesnar.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
^His face in the staredown scares even me. You could tell he wanted to hurt him from the get-go.

BTW, I should correct myself and say that if Lashley were to beat Mir, it would set up Lashley vs. Lesnar.

Wrestling Station

^His face in the staredown scares even me. You could tell he wanted to hurt him from the get-go.

BTW, I should correct myself and say that if Lashley were to beat Mir, it would set up Lashley vs. Lesnar.

BobbyLashley.jpg

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2

noumenon

I think UFC doesn't want to become the TNA of the sports world in general....taking and hyping anyone wanting to make a crossover.
Let Lashley prove himself in other promotions first, he's a hell of a fighter and I'm sure Lashley/Lesnar in reality isn't too unrealistic or far off.