Black Olives Matter' pun sparks outrage

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
An Italian restaurant in Albuquerque, New Mexico fell under fire for punning about the Black Lives Matter movement in an advertisement on its marquee. After the sign was removed, however, customers flocked to support the restaurant.

Paisano’s, a restaurant in the city’s northeast heights neighborhood, put up an advertisement for its Ahi tuna dish that features an olive puree. The slogan was "black olives matter, try our tapenade,” and the restaurant posted a picture of the marquee in its Facebook group.

People on social media didn’t find it very cute, however. Backlash began on the restaurant’s Facebook page, where people called the sign “insensitive” and in “poor taste” because of recent incidents of violence between police and black men in the US.

'Black Olives Matter' pun sparks outrage, boosts sales for Italian restaurant

Sorry, but I found this kind of funny.

• Haha
Reactions: Solid Snake

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
Not the first person/company to make jokes about BLM, won't be the last, unfortunately.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
An Italian restaurant in Albuquerque, New Mexico fell under fire for punning about the Black Lives Matter movement in an advertisement on its marquee. After the sign was removed, however, customers flocked to support the restaurant.

Paisano’s, a restaurant in the city’s northeast heights neighborhood, put up an advertisement for its Ahi tuna dish that features an olive puree. The slogan was "black olives matter, try our tapenade,” and the restaurant posted a picture of the marquee in its Facebook group.

People on social media didn’t find it very cute, however. Backlash began on the restaurant’s Facebook page, where people called the sign “insensitive” and in “poor taste” because of recent incidents of violence between police and black men in the US.

'Black Olives Matter' pun sparks outrage, boosts sales for Italian restaurant

Sorry, but I found this kind of funny.

I been doing this for months now. [HASHTAG]#CatLivesMatter[/HASHTAG] and such. It is not being done to take away from the protest, but to just lighten the mood around it. They are in no way making fun of what is going on but people choose to see everything as a hate crime/speech these days. People want their freedoms but don't want others to have theirs.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
I been doing this for months now. [HASHTAG]#CatLivesMatter[/HASHTAG] and such. It is not being done to take away from the protest, but to just lighten the mood around it. They are in no way making fun of what is going on but people choose to see everything as a hate crime/speech these days. People want their freedoms but don't want others to have theirs.

Racist.

• Haha
Reactions: Jacob Fox

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Caught me
hgsf43089cb.png

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score

Some people are making a joke out of the movement, not everybody has nice intentions like you.
Despite good intentions, it's not really something that needs to have the mood lightened.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure this alone will just cause even more drama, violence and just general bullshit. Yawn.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Some people are making a joke out of the movement, not everybody has nice intentions like you.
Despite good intentions, it's not really something that needs to have the mood lightened.

I get what you mean. I look at things from all angles and serious or not, joke or not, it's their choice and right to make a pun of it. I'm not running a business so me saying/doing something like this wont hurt anything I own, for them well, they are being slammed on all sorts of social media over it. RIP Italian restaurant I never heard of. I am a person who believes all lives matter great or small. I just stay out of these social media messes. There will always be people with good intentions but just as many, if not more with bad ones. And on both sides as well.

Lady Deathbane

thanks for the unban, lmao
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
I'll be honest, I used to support BLM in the beginning, but like every political group everything just gets dumb. I was pretty emotionally invested in it because of personal experiences in my life. However, I'm the type to either completely believe in something or not at all and I don't agree with some things that have been happening of late. More on the topic, everyone always makes fun of everything. Some people use humor to deal with their issues. That's just how some people are. Though, I suppose establishments should carry themselves better, but there's still the point of people needing thicker skin these days. I found the sign funny too.

Reactions: Swift

Nick

Reaction score
inb4 the restaurant gets shot up