BJ Penn Suggests Regional UFC Titles

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I used to be able to get Dana White on the phone pretty easily, a text or phone call if not immediately answered would be returned in the very near future, but now the president of our organization is so busy, it’s much harder to reach him.

I think that with the new FOX deal and with the popularity constantly growing, the sport hasn’t even come close to reaching its peak. Every country in the world is jumping on board the MMA bandwagon and they each bring their own style of martial arts to the table—and that is definitely something to look forward to.

In Japan, they have karate, in Korea they have Tae Kwon Do, in the United States they have western boxing and wrestling and as the sport grows we are going to see more and more of these styles entering the cage, which will make things very interesting going forward.

When the sport does go global and the UFC is in every country, I wonder what will happen to the depth of each division.

Right now, we have primarily American, Brazilian, Canadian and Japanese fighters on the world-class level. However, when the guys from say, India or, I don’t know, Colombia, start reaching a high level with well-rounded skill sets, will there be enough opportunities for each fighter to ascend through the rankings?

I think maybe regional titles may be a decent idea to be put in place, like an Asian UFC champion, a European UFC champion and just go down the line like that when these regions start developing the talent to justify such a thing. You can do all these things with the sport as it grows.

However, I feel convinced that no matter how big the sport grows that there can only be one world title, only one world champion. But how interesting is it to consider the different ways that the UFC will deal with the future as this sport continues to grow?

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
One of the worst things about boxing is how many titles there are, rendering them meaningless.

Hes took too many blows to the head I think, its a hideous idea.

Reactions: 1 person

Warren Static

Reaction score
I disagree, I'd like too see a couple regional champions where the only way to win that title is to be from that area, and it's defended in that area. Add in the only way to contend for the World Title is too be a regional champion. It's something I'd see working in about 3-4 years when UFC is more likely to be even more popular.

rcoot93

Reaction score
Too many titles will mender them meanignless

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Sounds like an awful idea to me and wouldn't really declare yourself as a true champion. If a guy in the middleweight division for example is the champion of region A, but he lost in bouts to region B & C, does he really deserve to call himself a champion?

Reactions: 1 person

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Giving each country/continent their own version of TUF would be decent, but this is a stretch.

The talent pool isnt deep enough to do it.

Look at the two newest UFC divisions, Bantam and Feather, theres a merry go round of like 4 people in each fighting each other. Faber, Cruz, Mighty Mouse, Aldo, Mendes.....its weak ATM.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
One of the worst things about boxing is how many titles there are, rendering them meaningless.

Hes took too many blows to the head I think, its a hideous idea.

^This. UFC have already started adding way too many titles and I don't want them to bring in any more. A title fight should be a big deal and if there are 4 heavyweight champions then it wouldn't mean that much.