BJ Penn Speaks On His Future In MMA

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
When former UFC champion BJ Penn announced his retirement from MMA following a loss to Nick Diaz last year, many felt it was just a decision made by Penn in the heat of the moment. Several months later, however, "The Prodigy" remains away from the sport.

Penn, in a recent interview with ESPN.com, talked about where he feels he is at in his current situation, and why these past few months away from fighting have helped him grow as a person.

"I'm enjoying my time away from the sport. That's where I am right now," Penn said. "I'm living a regular life instead of living the roller coaster. I haven't (lived a normal life) in 15 years. I'm trying to find myself a little bit - not as a fighter trying to come back to the sport, but just as a person."

Penn added that he is in the gym just about daily, but he's not going through drills or tiring himself with sparring sessions. For now, Penn seems content to remain just a normal person.

This year, Penn will turn 34 years of age, and said that if this is the end of the road as far as his MMA career goes, "That is something that either way, I'm going to have to accept. I've thought about it, but even if you are in your physical prime, there's still no sense going back if your head isn't there."

Would still like him to fight at least once more, but it doesn't seem real likely to happen.

Ben

Reaction score
I don't see Penn having enough left to ever work his way to a title shot again, and I think that's why he just wants to stay away. There's more than enough interesting fights out there for him, just don't see him having the motivation to come out there and do it.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I'd wager he'll be back, UFC are doing Hawaii this year and I cant see them doing it without him headlining.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah Dana has said a few times that he wants Penn to headline that Hawaii show that they're doing, but he doesn't want him to do it if he's not fully committed to the fight, i don't think that show is for another 4 or 5 months so it is possible that he figures his shit out and gets back to training but eh.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Fingers crossed that Dana "gets his hands on Strikeforce" like hes been saying, so we can finally have the Melendez fight.

Not sure they'd do it right away though with BJ coming off a loss.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah to make the Melendez fight happen they'd have to have Penn fight somebody and show he's still got something so that fight with Melendez doesn't tank.

It's really one of the only fights i want to see Penn take before completely calling it quits.