BJ Penn moving up to Welterweight

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

xtremebadass

...courtesy of MMA Weekly.

Georges St-Pierre and BJ Penn first fought at UFC 58, more than two years ago. Penn dominated the first round but lost a close split decision to the Canadian mixed martial arts superstar. Penn confirmed to MMAWeekly that he expects to be back in the octagon in Dec. against the winner of St-Peirre and Jon Fitch at UFC 87. But UFC president Dana White is not so sure.

"I don't think he'll get the winner of Fitch and GSP, said the UFC president. "He wants to fight GSP if GSP wins the title. GSP has a win over him. He wants to try to beat GSP. I don't think he'd move up if Fitch won."

Penn disagrees, commenting, "I'd feel okay facing anyone for the welterweight title."

"Jon Fitch is a great opponent, a tough opponent, but St. Pierre brings the whole backing of Canada with him to a fight," stated Penn. "Fan base, this sport, it's entertainment. It would be great to put on a big fight with me and St-Pierre, but then again, it’s about me fighting the best fighter and if Fitch goes down and proves he’s the best fighter, then he’s the man.â€￾

Penn recently told MMAWeekly.com that he wants to bounce back and forth between the 170 and 155 pound weight divisions. "I'd like to fight welterweight and lightweight at the same time if I could," said the former welterweight champion.

"I'm moving up to the welterweight division and moving down to defend the lightweight title," stated the UFC lightweight titleholder.

Penn expects his next fight to be at welterweight and to be against the winner of St-Pierre and Fitch. "I'm looking at the Florian/Huerta fight and I'm also looking and the Georges St-Pierre/Jon Fitch fight," stated the Hawaiian fighter.

UFC will soon have a handful of fighters that keep switching weights to compete in all divisions :p

J

I will order my first UFC PPV ever if BJ Penn vs. GSP. Two of my favorites and would luv to see them square off.

thedeadite

Reaction score
Penn/GSP at the new years show has win all over it, whether GSP still holds the belt or not.

Reaction score
BJ Penn is one of the greatest. Too bad the lower weight divisions get almost zero pub. If he does move up and win he'll be in the same breath as Anderson Silva.

J

^^True but the Ultimate fighter did help to get a lot of attention for the lower weights. Penn vs. Pulver was awesome.

xtremebadass

UFC isn't big on the smaller fighters, if you go to like WEC, they are bigger on the smaller fighters than the bigger ones. They don't even have a HW Champ.

Christian

Reaction score
oh shit gsp and bj penn are two of my favs that i like to watch.. i think gsp would murder him tho