'Big' John McCarthy and Lloyd Irvin on The Fight Fix

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
The Fight Fix on CSN Washington is back this week with host Dustin Green recapping the Strikeforce Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov event. Green also talks to famous MMA referee "Big" John McCarthy and DC area trainer Lloyd Irvin. Dominick Cruz and Mike Easton both fight under Irvin's guidance and will be competing at the next UFC on Versus event.

You can also catch The Fight Fix at CSNWashington.com.

SBNation and Comcast SportsNet are proud to bring you The Fight Fix on BloodyElbow.com and MMA Nation every week.

Full transcription after the jump.

7 secs, Strikeforce GP Semis recap

John McCarthy Skype INTV

1:09, on telling the fans more info about the true history of professional MMA: "There was a giant history and there was a lot of people that I thought deserved credit for things that the media doesn't put out because they don't know. They weren't there and they didn't understand. In the beginning there was no media to cover anything. I wanted people to understand there was people who deserved credit for making things happen. Rorion Gracie deserved credit for being the guy that...he's the only reason this thing was even there for people to grow on from - the beginning. Art Davey - believing it and being the guy that actually pushing it for Rorion. Bob Meyrowitz believing in it and putting it on TV, putting his money into it at a time when it wasn't making money. Lorenzo Fertitta and Frank Fertitta - coming in and spending money to buy and then putting a ton of money in it and not having real success in the beginning. Working through all those hard times and going millions of dollars in the whole. Jeff Blatnick is a guy that no one gives credit to. He deserves a ton of credit for the growth of the sport. Jeff was a guy that lent his credibility to the sport at a time when it had none. Jeff was an OLympic gold medalist. He was someone who had been decorated as a top athlete, fought through serious health issues with cancer, and had lent his credibility to a sports that had none. And willing did it and backed it and only spoke grat hings about the sport and helped it through a very hard time. All those people deserved credit and I wanted people to know that there were those people that did those things."

Master Lloyd Ivrin INTV

3:06 - on why Team Lloyd Irvin/Alliance MMA has been so successful: "We're clearly defined on our goals. We wanna create UFC champions. We already created one UFC champion with Dominick Cruz. From our jiu jitsu to our MMA aspirations we have clear goals and we have a solid squad of professional guys that are trying to attain those goals. We have a professional staff. We have doctors, accountants, we have strength & conditioning coaches, we have dietitians. We have a whole professional team that works with even guys at the amateur level. Everything is set up from the beginning like a professional team where a lot of martial arts schools, jiu jtsu schools are set up more like a hobby school or just a regular martial arts school. We're taking things to a professional level and we're showing good results in our jiu jitsu as well as MMA. In the UFC, we have lots of guys ding big things."

Mike Easton INTV (10-1-0, faces Jeff Hougland at UFC Live 6)

3:50, on his experience at Team Lloyd Irvin: "I came to Master Lloyd to compete and that's what he did. Just immediately started competing and he turned me into a world champion and now we're in the UFC. It's an unbelievable experience and to be part of that, to help mixed martial arts grow in this area, it's a blessing. I'm an inner city kid. I'm from Washington D.C. We can change a lot of things in the Washington D.C. area, Prince Georges County areaespecially for the young kids that might not have the same chance that I had. Some of the kids around here don't have both of their families in their life, both of their parents in their life. A lot of them grow up in single family homes. This will help them get stronger."

Master Lloyd Ivrin INTV

4:33, on the importance of having the UFC in D.C.: "For the Mecca of mixed martial arts - the UFC to be in Washington D.C. for te very time at the Verizon Center and for us to be main eventing and for one of our top students Mike "The Hulk" Easton to be making his debut, it's just like...the energy level ...I personally bought 650 UFC tickets and we sold out in a week just from the school. We have people begging us to get more and we're out! The energy is amazing. The guys on the tem have surrounded Mike & Dominick. It's just a lot of energy. Everyone is looking forward to October 1st."

5:02 - Tease for Luke Thomas next Monday