Best Album from Every Decade

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MGS32

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Thought this would be a fun thread and will give a glimpse of everyone's opposing music tastes and opens some discussion, your choices can be picked for a multitude of reasons including but not limited to: Personal Affection, Personal Attachment, Cultural Influence, Influence on the Music Industry, Quality of album etc.

1940s:

0000783530.jpg

Now I am not well versed on music pre 1960s (And even then my knowledge is rough) but a personal absolute classic for me is Frank Sinatra's "Christmas Songs by Sinatra". It has been played in my house since before my parents were even born and brings back many happy memories and is my go to Christmas album, even in the summer it just makes you feel good.

1950s:

MilesDavisKindofBlue.jpg

Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue"

Miles Davis is a legend in Jazz and this album just has such a lovely sound to it and its so nice just to sit and listen to, something I think a lot of my music taste lacks is albums to just sit, relax and listen and this is usually my go to when I'm in that kind of mood. Another good album for just relaxing and listening (although completely unrelated so Miles Davis) is MTV Unplugged Nirvana, Kobain's voice, the acoustic sound and Dave's lighter drum playing is a perfect combination.

1960s:

Sgt._Pepper%27s_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band.jpg

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles

I adore The Beatles, I love pretty much everything they've produced including the solo projects so for the 1960s it was more me just picking my favourite of The Beatles albums and it was hardly difficult, Sgt Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band is what I believe to be the starting point for Rock as we know it today. Its such a fantastic album, it is paced perfectly and flows seamlessly and is also a fantastic sing a long album and I believe it was intended to be that way seeing as though they printed the lyrics on the album.

1970s:

ZiggyStardust.jpg

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie

This was a difficult choice seeing as though some of the best albums of all time came out of this decade, it would be easier to split it into year by year but if I had to pick from the list which includes things like Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac, All Things Must Pass by George Harrison, A Night At The Opera by Queen, Raw Power by Iggy and The Stooges and that is just scratching the surface. But Ziggy Stardust is a wonderful album that is extremely difficult to put into words, what pushed me over the edge was how much I adore Moonage Daydream its probably one of my favourite songs of all time.

Honourable Mentions: Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.

1980s:

tsr.jpg

The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses

The 80s is probably my least favourite year for music personally, obviously the shift towards more electro and more pop. I mean its hard to deny the existence of great 80s music but I think its a very inbetween decade as the 70s and 90s had so many fantastic albums. Anyway, I decided to go with The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses mainly due to its cultural and musical influence in the UK and how it basically revived Britpop and inspired bands like Oasis. I mean Noel Gallagher himself straight up claims that The Stone Roses is what made him start Oasis. Regardless its also a great album so listen to it.

Honourable Mentions: Closer by Joy Division, The Queen is Dead by The Smiths.

1990s:

R-517224-1284503950.jpeg.jpg

Definitely Maybe by Oasis

Was there realistically anything else I was going to pick? Now do I think this is the best album of the 1990s? No. Do I think its in the top 3? Absolutely but I think this has the big three. Not only is it a fantastic album but its Cultural Influence and Musical Influence are clear and plain to see as this was the revival of Britpop and everyone and I mean everyone knows who Oasis is in the UK, their cultural influence is still alive today with things like Pretty Green clothing. What's The Story? (Morning Glory) is definitely a more well known Oasis album but this ones better.

Honourable Mentions: Screamadelica by Primal Scream, In Utero by Nirvana, Nevermind by Nirvana, What's The Story? (Morning Glory) by Oasis, Enema Of The State by blink 182, Parklife by Blur.

And no Radiohead don't get a mention because I'd rather listen to scratching chalkboards than OKComputer.

2000s:

The_Strokes_-_Is_This_It_cover.png

Is This It by The Strokes

This isn't my favourite album of the 2000s (That goes to Favourite Worst Nightmare by Arctic Monkeys) but I had to give it to The Strokes because without Is This It there would be no Arctic Monkeys. On its own its still absolutely one of the greatest albums of all time without a doubt, every track top to bottom is just so fucking fantastic. This is the UK release I'm mentioning because the US release is entirely different. The US release removed "New York City Cops" from the album because of 9/11 and in my own opinion it takes away the best song on the album and destroys the flow of the album, now the American release is still like a 9/10 or 9.5/10 it just isn't the same.

Honourable Mentions: FWN by Arctic Monkeys, Whatever People Say I Am by Arctic Monkeys, Humbug by Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand by Franz Ferdinand, Don't Believe The Truth by Oasis, Room on Fire by The Strokes, Hot Fuss by The Killers, Untitled by blink 182, Riot! by Paramore, The Libertines by The Libertines, The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance, The Age Of The Understatement by The Last Shadow Puppets, Elephant by The White Stripes.

If its not obvious this was the decade I grew up in so I have quite a fondness for the music of my childhood.

2010s:

2014ArcticMonkeys_AM_081214-1.jpg

AM by Arctic Monkeys

This is got to be probably one of my favourite albums ever so it just makes sense I'd have it as my No.1 for the 2010s. I think it captured everyone's attention and basically reminded the world how amazing these guys are, it flows so well and the album its self tells a story of a doomed relationship. This was Arctic Monkeys' true breakthrough into America (Despite their desperate attempts to make SIAS a breakthrough in America) as well.

Honourable Mentions: My Love Is Cool by Wolf Alice, The Balcony by Catfish and The Bottlemen, The Ride by Catfish And The Bottlemen, Suck It and See by Arctic Monkeys, Everything You've Come To Expect by The Last Shadow Puppets, Random Access Memories by Daft Punk, Angles by The Strokes, Future Present Past EP by The Strokes, After Laughter by Paramore, Strange Trails by Lord Huron, For Crying Out Loud by Kasabian.

That is my list, you may disagree which is cool I guess but fuck it.

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Some of the Albums or Groups
U mentioned I hv heard of and listened to and Like. I was born in '91' Other's I hv not. Still all look like Nice Groups

MGS32

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Everything I mention are definite ones to listen, everything I included is on Spotify so like if you want some new music just look up one of the albums and throw it on and I promise you won't regret it.

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Everything I mention are definite ones to listen, everything I included is on Spotify so like if you want some new music just look up one of the albums and throw it on and I promise you won't regret it.
Alright!

Nick

Reaction score
Not really familiar with music before the 60s outside of a select few songs, so I'm not really gonna try and pick from then.

1960s:
Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg

The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico

This album pretty much created indie rock and dozens of other subgenres. The sound on it may sound like a lot of things you hear today, but in 1967 it was the first of its kind. Even though this wasn't a commercial success, it still is arguably the most influential album of all time.

HM: Anything by the Beatles and Hendrix

1970s:
maxresdefault.jpg

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures.

Shadowplay has to be one of my all time favorite songs, it's just amazing. Ian Curtis was such a talented frontman, and you can hear his influence on so many artists that are still making music today.

HM:
2) Black Sabbath - Paranoid
3) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
4) Pink Floyd - The Wall
5) The Clash - London Calling

1980s:
TalkingHeadsRemaininLight.jpg

Talking Heads - Remain in Light

I haven't listened to many great albums from the 80s, and I plan on listening to more of the classics of this era, so there's a good chance this changes. But this does for now. An album that really helped create a new sound and advance rock music. The funky bass on the opening track is awesome. Only 8 tracks, but they're great 8 tracks

HM: Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beat, Michael Jackson - Thriller

1990s:
R-4950798-1387745762-1902.jpeg.jpg

Radiohead - OK Computer

What else can be said about this album? This is another genre-changing album. They added so many sounds and noises that really were never used in rock. The lyrics also convey the message Thom Yorke was really trying to express. The sentiments of doubt as we headed towards the digital age, and also how many people in the UK felt at the time. And these lyrics were almost prophetic - both in the doubts of the government and in the theme of how technology changed how we interact. Paranoid Android is almost a modern Bohemian Rhapsody. OK Computer was like a bridge from the grunge/Britpop and into the modern rock sound that is still going today.

HM:
2) Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang/36 Chambers
3) Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the sea
4) Nirvana - Nevermind
5) Nas - Illmatic

2000s
Interpol_-_Turn_On_The_Bright_Lights.jpg

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

My favorite album to come out of the New York indie scene is also my favorite of the decade. People often compare Paul Banks to Ian Curtis, and this album is where you can hear it most. And it's not that he tries to sound like him, either. He simply sounds almost exactly like him. But I don't hear Joy Division on this album at all. Despite the ambiguity of almost every line, I somewhat piece together themes such as a post-9/11 New York. The lyrics here are just as depressing as OKC, but more on a personal level. Obstacle 1 is my favorite song period, and I think it shows Interpol's strengths the best. Their rhythm section is subtle, but their best quality. And the guitar play is nothing complex, but effective, and Banks has his greatest vocal performance here. This album was huge for the post-punk revival and alternative rock in general. Even with the post-punk revival dying off, you can still hear the influence of this album on today's sound.

HM:
2) Radiohead - In Rainbows
3) Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
4) Radiohead - Kid A
5) ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes

2010s:
Kendrick_Lamar_-_To_Pimp_a_Butterfly.png

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

It couldn't have been anything else. This is the definitive album of 2015. Everything about this album is perfect. The instrumentals are insane, Kendrick's flow is better than ever, the features do their part perfectly, and lyrically it may be the greatest hip-hop album I've heard. How Much a Dollar Cost is an extremely powerful song. This album is so much better than anything else in the conscious subgenre at the time because it's truly a conscious album - it gives you something to actually think about when you're done. The Blacker the Berry, Mortal Man, and Institutionalized are jaw-droppingly great songs. The whole album flows so smoothly and would be my pick for the best album during the whole millennium.

HM:
2) Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
3) Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.D. city
4) Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
5) Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

Reactions: MGS32

MGS32

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Ian Curtis was something special, I love New Order but it's just not the same. His story is pretty tragic I think he definitely struggled with inner demons and he basically thought he'd hit his peak so young and that it was all downhill.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Will make my list later, but really glad to see Joy Division. Such an amazing band.

MGS32

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Will make my list later, but really glad to see Joy Division. Such an amazing band.
Very beloved over here, HMV (Pop culture store) still sells Joy Division shirts and at TRNSMT (Music Festival) everyone had Joy Division shirts and some had tattoos and when they played Love Will Tear Us Apart inbetween bands coming on stage it was basically a 40,000 person sing along.