Ben Rothwell Talks Return at UFC 135 vs. Mark Hunt

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
ben-rothwell_large.jpg
Ben Rothwell has been out a long time. By the time he returns to the cage, it will be 15 months since his last fight at UFC 115. He has been rehabbing a knee injury since then, and has apparently used the tile constructively. He took the time to speak to Maggie Hendricks at Cagewriter, and sounds like a new man:

"I've really worked hard on myself. It's not a comeback. It's an unveiling," Rothwell told Cagewriter. "I have been off for more than a year, and instead of using it as a layoff I've used it as a huge building block. I posted a few pictures, and people said, 'Whoa, this guy ain't the same.' When I came back to Duke (Roufus), he said, 'People who are off because of an injury usually gain 20 lbs. You look like you've lost 20 lbs.'

After discussing the knee injury he picked up in his UFC 115 bout with Gilbert Yvel and how he feels his experience will help him return to the cage at 100%, he talks about making a run at the title:

"A lot of these guys, especially champions, I see how they act, and it enrages me. It's not right. It's not fair," he said. "I fight for the fans because without them, I wouldn't be able to do this. A lot of guys talk the talk, but people know when they meet me, I smile in my pictures. I love giving autographs because I am very thankful for everyone that's made the sport possible. That motivating factor has made me who I am now, and it's time to go out and take what's mine."

He also discusses how the MMA changed him as a person, which is quite interesting. You can catch the rest of the interview here.