Ben Rothwell Discusses His UFC 135 Bout With Mark Hunt and Returning From Injury

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
Ben-Rothwell_large_large.jpg
UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell torn his ACL in his last fight against Gilbert Yvel at UFC 115, and has been out for over a year. He's now ready to return, and his opponent will be The Super Samoan, Mark Hunt. Rothwell did an interview with Brian Hemminger of MMA Mania, and discussed how he has re-invented himself while recovering from the injury. He also talks about his camp, Roufusport, and his bout with Hunt. First off, the obvious question - how is his knee doing?

I'm 100 percent right now. It's not even something that I'm even thinking about. I know it's the first topic of conversation because it's why I've been out for a year but I'm great. I'm really happy to come back. I know that some guys come back from injury out of shape or things like that but I really took the time to improve everything just like I promised I would. That's the goal next Saturday, to live up to what I told everybody and I feel very confident in doing so.

On the changes to his diet:

My wife is my chef and she's really big on not just organics but staying away from dairy and it's something that I just used to consume mass amounts of. Now I've completely cut a lot of that stuff out of my diet. I didn't used to eat many vegetables but now they make up a considerable portion of my meals throughout the day. It's completely different. It's a drastic change and I can see that people say I look a lot leaner now because of the changes and I want to keep doing this and look even better with each fight. That's what I'm most excited for. I want to put some wins in and every time I step in the cage I want people to think, "Wow, he just keeps getting better!" I really believe that's gonna happen.

And on opponent Mark Hunt:

As far as Mark Hunt goes, he's someone I've watched a long time. As a fan, I respect and enjoyed watching him in the past. As my opponent, I have no respect for his one-sided game. There's three aspects of this game and him only having one of them is not doing anything for him. Even in the striking realm, he's shown to have more difficulty with taller fighters that have reach and I've really worked on my distance and utilizing my reach. I don't care where the fight's at really. I'm confident in all aspects of the fight and I'm just ready to go and put an exciting fight on.

Rothwell covers a ton of other stuff in the interview, and the whole thing is definitely worth a read. You can catch the whole thing here.