Ben Henderson To Change Weight Class?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Ben Henderson will challenge Frankie Edgar for his lightweight championship in the main event of UFC 144 on Feb. 26, 2012, at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

If he wins, the plan is to defend the belt for as long as possible, of course. But either way, "Bendo" has bigger plans for his future.

The "Smooth" one wants to fight at welterweight ... eventually.

You knew it would happen sooner or later. After all, Henderson usually disrobes before he even tries to weigh in for the first time. That's how difficult it is for him to hit the 155-pound weight limit and as he gets older, it's only going to get harder.

Which is why he hopes his speed and technique can give him an edge in a division he doesn't have to cut weight for (via MMA Weekly):

Quote:
"It is hard on the body. People don't realize how much of a factor it is. Thankfully, I hired a nutritionist, Travis Jeffries, full time and been a little bit smarter about it. As I get older, I eat healthier, try to eat the right things, make all these little sacrifices that it takes to be a champion. Hopefully, eventually my technique catches up where I can hang with guys that are freaking 20 pounds heavier than me, and use more of my speed when they're bigger and slower, and my technique makes up for them being stronger than me."

When discussing a move up to welterweight, Henderson references another UFC fighter with his namesake, Dan Henderson, who has made it clear he can fight at both middleweight and light heavyweight but prefers the 205-pound division.

MMANews.com

I think the idea of a Bendo/GSP fight would be amazing.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Bendo is big for the division, he looked so much bigger than his last opponent so I can see why he is thinking about moving up a division. Would be a good challenger for GSP in the future if he does make the move up.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Welterweight division SUCKS at the mo, needs all the help it can get.

IMO Bendo should stay at 155 tho, his flexibility and sub defence is insanely good.

Ben

Reaction score
Would be foolish to make the move up anytime soon, he can dominate guys right now at 155 with his strength and speed.