Ben Askren Talks Jay Hieron, Rick Hawn, Nate Marquardt

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
method_get_s_ben-askren-10-23-10-10-30-29-899_large.jpg
Bellator welterweight champion Ben Askren did a good interview with The Fight Nerd recently where he discussed a variety of topics. The most interesting stuff was about his next opponent Jay Hieron, the season five Bellator welterweight tournament, and Nate Marquardt. Askren is pretty honest, particularly about his reasons for calling out Marquardt following his release from the UFC. After talking about wrestling his brother and some other stuff, he is asked about Jay Hieron, who he's scheduled to face sometime in the fall for his welterweight title:

"I don't like Jay Hieron very much. He just bothers me, the way he talks, and he thinks very highly of himself. And after the last few fights he had, they were very closely contested, and somehow in his mind he didn't really see it that way. You know, I thought he should have been thankful of the judges and he's just too sure of himself."

"I don't think he's got enough tools in his bag to give me too many problems."

Okay then. Being "too sure of himself" might be something that Askren himself could be accused of as well at times, but he does have a solid point about Hieron's tournament run. Next up, he states who he thinks is the favorite for the season five welterweight tourney:

"I was impressed with Rick Hawn last season, so you know I would definitely not be surprised if he came through the tournament and won it this season."

And on the topic of Marquardt:

"You know, I'm pretty indifferent with him now that he's decided he isn't gonna sign with Bellator. Obviously I was trying to taunt him into getting him into Bellator to fight with me because that's one way I can build my name and my record and my reputation up is fighting people better than myself. He would fit that category at this point."

I respect that he's honest about trying to goad Nate into Bellator so he could make possibly make something off a big name, and admitting that Nate might be better than him. Perhaps he isn't too sure of himself after all. You can catch the whole interview after the jump.