Becky Lynch: HHH felt as though her as a heel was "swimming upstream"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
001_ss_07302022rf_15155--4b9108de0d14b340c9d77184648dfdea-2.jpg

Paul "Triple H" Levesque felt that WWE was "swimming upstream" by having Becky Lynch portray a heel.

Lynch appeared on an episode of Out of Character released on Wednesday and spoke about conversations she's had with Levesque regarding her character. She was asked if she was surprised to turn babyface again at this year's SummerSlam.

"No, because I had talked to Hunter a little bit before and he was like, 'How do you feel about being a heel?' and I was like, 'Honestly, it's fun I like it. I feel like I'm maybe more naturally inclined to be a babyface, I think people like me better as a babyface."

"So, he was like, 'I feel like we are swimming upstream keeping you as a heel.' Yeah, I agree and so then the creative was laid out and I was like, 'Yeah, that sounds awesome.'"

Lynch was then asked if she is happy that Levesque is heading up creative in the company now.

"Yeah man, it's great. Obviously, he has a great mind for it. His track record with what he's done with women in NXT, I'm a product of that. I got to be in that system and become who I am today and he's really championed just women's wrestling, in general. And not looking at it as women's wrestling, it's just this is a story, these are two people in a story, how do we make this story good? And so that's what I love about it, just how do we make the story good no matter what the gender is."

Earlier in the conversation, Lynch spent some time talking about her match in Saudi Arabia at Elimination Chamber against Lita.

"I don't know how I feel about doing a show over there but then somebody mentioned that, 'Look, you don't get to influence people by not being there' you know? You get to show these women and young girls what's possible and that's amazing. The audience are so receptive and they love it and their reaction through everything is unlike anything I've ever experienced. So, to know that you maybe have a small part in influencing a young girl who wouldn't have been aware of this thing otherwise, is really incredible."

She continued to talk about Ronda Rousey's influence on women in wrestling and MMA.

"I hate to bring her up but if Ronda Rousey, credit where credit is due, look, if Ronda Rousey hadn't been as good as she was in MMA, there wouldn't have been women in the UFC and women [wouldn't] see that and say, 'I want to do that too.' It starts by showing people what's possible so that we can change the world."

Reactions: Jimmy King

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
I liked her heel stuff but I do agree with her that people like her better as a babyface. It does suit her even though personally I’ll like her either way.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I liked her heel stuff but I do agree with her that people like her better as a babyface. It does suit her even though personally I’ll like her either way.

It felt like every promo she had to fight for her life to get booed again bc she was always cheered at first lol she was just so good she could do it

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Swimming upstream was probably the perfect way to describe it. Incredible year run though, still my favourite in terms of quality.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Hopefully as a face we don't get those dumb outfits.