Baron Corbin talks move back to NXT

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
corbinnxtmove.webp

Before his current stint in NXT, Baron Corbin felt like he was "drowning" on the WWE main roster.

Corbin was the guest on the latest episode of WWE's After the Bell podcast. During the interview, Corbin spoke about his pairing with JBL on the main roster. Corbin said they tried to make it work, but there were a few things going against them. Corbin said it felt like he was in a movie where they're stuck out in the ocean and waiting to get eaten by sharks.

Corbin recalled a promo where he knew there was nothing that was going to make it good. Corbin said that, before then, he had always been able to make things work.

There was a sense of panic there for me, because everything I had done up until then had worked. You know, I’d made things work. I had one promo in my career where I was in the ring in the middle of it going, ‘There is nothing that is going to make this good. We’re not saving it.’ It was a segment with multiple people, and I felt the crowd just going, ‘Dude. Like, this is not good.' And you feel it in your gut.
And then, when we got to the end of the JBL stuff, we were trying to make it work. I think there were a few things that went against us. Opportunity, timing, a few other things. And you could feel it. I felt like I was just in that movie where they’re stuck out in the ocean just waiting to get eaten by sharks. I was drowning, in a sense. And that’s when we had the conversation, and it was like, ‘Okay, well what do we do?'

Corbin was designated as a "free agent" in this year's WWE Draft, meaning he's able to appear on Raw, SmackDown, and NXT. He arrived on NXT this May, attacking NXT Champion Carmelo Hayes.

On After the Bell, Corbin said he saw NXT as a place where he could make some changes in himself and his career. Corbin said he thinks it's been a successful execution of that plan so far.

That's when this NXT opportunity came up and I was like, ‘Hell yes. Let’s go. Let’s go down there and do this.’ And it’s been a lot of fun because I got to come in the door and run with Carmelo [Hayes] for a little bit. And we had that Lone Wolf entrance, and that was special, man. You could feel the energy in the building when that music hit, and had the jean vest on, and it was a little nostalgia. I mean, social media numbers were off the charts on that, and it was just an entrance.
Then we had one hell of a match. I mean, Melo’s a special competitor, and I think he’s going to have a bright career. But that was a match where I think it had been a while since I’ve gotten to just go. Like, [Seth] Rollins and I have had some amazing matches, Roman [Reigns] and I, Braun [Strowman], Kurt [Angle] -- I’ve had these long matches with guys who are extremely talented, Kevin Owens, Sami [Zayn].
It had been a minute since I've had that opportunity, and I think we tore it down. And I reignited a little bit of fire in my gut that says, ‘I’m going to shove this down everybody’s face that kind of doubted me over the last year,’ or who said negative things in a sense -- inside our world and outside our world. It was an opportunity to go out there and go, ‘Man, I can hang with the best there is. I can go with anybody. I can run 30 minutes with Seth. I can run 30 minutes with Roman. I can run 30 minutes with Melo down in NXT. It doesn’t matter. When that bell rings, I can go in the ring.’ So now it was getting that attitude to match that in-ring ability and the emotion. Because the emotion is back full throttle right now. It reignited something in my gut to ‘burn the ships.’ Let’s take this mother down.

Corbin said he could still be competing "in the middle" on SmackDown where it's easy and comfortable, but he wanted to go back to NXT and restart.

Hayes retained the NXT Championship against Corbin at NXT Gold Rush last month. Since then, a series of vignettes have aired where Corbin has burned items from his past and prepared to face his future as his true self.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
He was lost for so long before they hit gold with the Broke Corbin stuff but they ended that way too soon. Gonna be fun to watch him re-emerge again.

Rosie

Neo Genesis
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I'll do this:

Barron Corbin in NXT: Really solid.

Barron Corbin Pre-Brand Split: Good start, never ending feud with Dolph

Smackdown Corbin pre-MITB: Really well booked overall. Shame him and Dean's IC title match sucked. Shoulda been FCA.

MITB: Maybe wasn't ready, but could have lead to something solid-

MITB Cash in: Aaaaand they fucked him. At least he got a US title win.

Constable Corbin: Bleh.

GM Corbin: Suffering

Waistcoat Corbin: STOP USING THE SAME RESTHOLD! OH GREAT THAT IS KURT'S FINAL MATCH!?

King of the Ring Corbin: Lost way too much, also Dog Food.

Broke Corbin: Unexpectedly genius, ended too soon.

Happy Corbin: Dear God no...

With JBL: Just uninteresting.

I've seen some vignettes of him so far and I think this is honestly going to save his career. For the longest time for me (From Constable Corbin onwards) he as a character had "Go away" heat for me. This is despite the fact he seems like a solid guy out of the ring. Well spoken, good company guy, he's reliable in the ring at least, just way too many of that head and arm rest hold for the longest time. Some time in NXT to reinvent himself, work with some new guys to give him an injection of energy, and where he can give advice as a player-coach behind the scenes, is a great idea.

Buffy

The Vampire Slayer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
bretthart
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Corbin has always been a favorite of mine since his silent Lone Wolf days in 2014. Shame that they fumbled the ball with him for years. Could have at least been a 1 time WWE Champion. Glad he is back at home in NXT where he will be booked properly and this last 2 months almost has been fun. In the past I loved his Lone Wolf Gimmick and Broke Corbin gimmicks a lot. It made him a cool character and wrestler for people to have fun with.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
If you were on this forum back during his 1st run in NXT, you know I once dubbed him “Da Future”

That MITB cash in and then losing to Cena in the opening match at Summerslam was the beginning of the end of him as a credible main event guy.

Then he was just…there.

If you’ve ever watched his videos of him barbecuing or about whiskey or him training kids with Spears and Breeze, he’s a good dude.

Don’t know what the direction is moving forward but I’m intrigued for the first time in years.