Are you a fan of The Rock's movies ?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

jminter2698

The Artiste
Reaction score
We know Dwayne Johnson is mostly known as The Rock from wrestling but are you a fan of his movies ? Or just one or the other ? Some of his roles where he's the lead actor aren't that great but they're not bad either. He does well when he has somebody with him like Sean William Scott in The Rundown, Madison Pettis (the little girl who played his daughter in The Game Plan) Auliʻi Cravalho (who was Moana in his role as Maui), Kevin Hart (Central Intelligence) and Zac Efron (Baywatch) Vin Diesel (Fast And The Furious). He's great in those roles but by himself ? Not really, it's hit and miss.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
His best films are the ones where he can use his charisma better. For example, in Rundown, he uses not only his charisma in his scripts, but he also uses his wrestling stuff in-film. The Fast and the Furious films put him on the bigger platform, but its where he uses his best character. The Rock as Hobbs? Fucking badass. It's like who wouldn't want to see The Rock go up against Vin Fucking Diesel? Hobbs vs Dom? Fuck yeah. How much? I'll be there.

But the thing is this, it doesn't matter if the film is solo or with others - it has to use his charisma and his wrestling skills - or the film is bust. The whole point of The Rock's popularity is the charisma. He displays it best in films with action.

He's trying to be Will Smith; a versatile actor. But where film directors need to bank money on, is both his charisma and wrestling. He can be funny, but it has to go off the rails on his call. You think WWE came up with the promos that The Rock made? Fuck no. The Rock had to be the one who came up with them or he couldn't have done all those promos!

Reactions: jminter2698

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I liked him in Doom...& as a terrible CGI effect
in The Mummy Returns...And that's about it.

You remember that film Predators?

Predators (film) - Wikipedia

Dwayne should have been cast as the
lead in that film instead of Adrien Brody.

I'm looking forward to Rampage...but
only because it has "monsters" in it.

I don't really care about the Rock as
an actor.

Reactions: jminter2698

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
You remember that film Predators?

Predators (film) - Wikipedia

Dwayne should have been cast as the
lead in that film instead of Adrien Brody.
That's a good point. The reason why the original Predator was good is because of putting Arnold Schwarzenegger as the main character. Arnold was both charismatic, and muscular at the time, his popularity was [also] peaking at the time. So, I agree that The Rock would've done better in Predators.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I think he's a decent actor but like most 'above average' actors, he needs someone he can play off of. I don't see that as a weakness but if I was making a movie about anything else other than Wrestling / Action, then I wouldn't have him on my lead. Especially if it's a demanding solo role.

Not a knock on him tho, I enjoy his films and whatever I saw of his show I liked that too.

But he's gonna be president anyway, so who cares how bad he acts!

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
The Rock is our modern day Arnold Schwarzenegger. He's not the best actor but hes just a Hollywood badass, who can get away with doing some of the most ridiculous shit in action movies.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I think the movies he is in mostly suck but not because of him. He is a great actor. I would like to see him in a series of sorts at some point.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
I think the movies he is in mostly suck but not because of him. He is a great actor. I would like to see him in a series of sorts at some point.
For that to happen, he'd need a massive fanbase. Kinda like how John Wick is an iconic name that got a show. Keanu isn't part of it, but the lore is there. I guess... I think the whole point of Wick is Keanu's action scenes.

That's what The Rock needs to be known for. That one trait that sets him apart from the pack.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
For that to happen, he'd need a massive fanbase. Kinda like how John Wick is an iconic name that got a show. Keanu isn't part of it, but the lore is there. I guess... I think the whole point of Wick is Keanu's action scenes.
A lot of actors and actresses got famous/more famous after being in a series or show vs doing movies.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
A lot of actors and actresses got famous/more famous after being in a series or show vs doing movies.
I know, problem is, he's not there yet. Most of the time, films is where stars are "made." Like how Taken series became a TV show.

There's a reason why he's doing TV shows like "Baller" rather than national TV shows. It's because he's got a lot to prove to producers.

Reactions: Nikki Nitro

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I know, problem is, he's not there yet. Most of the time, films is where stars are "made." Like how Taken series became a TV show.

There's a reason why he's doing TV shows like "Baller" rather than national TV shows. It's because he's got a lot to prove to producers.

I guess so.

Reaction score
The last Rock movie I saw was San Andreas (i think) and to be honest, no. He's my favorite guy in the world but I'm not really a fan of his movies. My favorite is probably The Rundown. Which was his 2nd or 3rd movie he ever was in lol. [HASHTAG]#SadButTrue[/HASHTAG]