Antonio Silva Eyes Move To UFC

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
With consecutive wins over Fedor Emelianenko, Mike Kyle and Andrei Arlovski, former EliteXC champ Antonio Silva (16-3 MMA, 3-2 SF) looked well on his way to establishing himself as one of MMA's top heavyweights.

Then he ran into Daniel Cormier, who booted Silva out of Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix with a surprising first-round knockout.

As it turns out, the loss provided Silva with a valuable lesson he promises to carry with him for the remainder of his career – a career that looks as if may now play out in the UFC.

"Cormier is a good person and a great fighter, but he should have also payed the lotto that day," the Brazilian recently told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com). "The first punch he landed took me out, and I was unable to fight after it.

"I am from Paraiba, and we always come to fight and let it all hang out. But I learned a lesson: We should not fight for the money but for the love of fighting. After Alistair Overeem dropped out of the tournament, I wanted out of the grand prix, as well, but I continued for the money and God punished me. Money should never be the priority."

Silva's financial strains are perhaps understandable when you consider he spends thousands of dollars each month on life-saving medicine to treat acromegaly, a condition that causes Silva's body to produce excess growth hormone. Nevertheless, the 6-foot-4 American Top Team product insists the loss has changed his perspective.

A nagging shoulder injury has been addressed, and Silva is itching to get back into the cage and prove his worth.

"I had my shoulder operated on Nov. 22, and I am already 80 percent healed," Silva said. "My physical therapist says I am a mutant because of the speed of my recovery. My focus has been to stay in as good of shape as possible to make my recovery faster, and it worked."

But in exactly which cage Silva will step remains to be seen. UFC president Dana White recently revealed Strikeforce will host just two more heavyweight contests before disbanding the division. It's easy to assume that the UFC will absorb many of Strikeforce's top big men, but Silva says he's currently in the dark in regards to his future.

"I really want to fight in the best event in the world – where the best fighters are," Silva said. "It will be awesome if the Strikeforce heavyweights make it over to the UFC. There are many great fights to be made.

"It does not always depend on me, but the day the invitation comes, you may be certain that I will be ready to honor it and give it my best. When I receive the call form the UFC, I will fight who ever Joe Silva wants me to fight."

In the meantime, Silva is back in the gym and has resumed some light training while continuing to rehab his shoulder. The loss to Cormier was certainly shocking, but the 32-year-old Brazilian insists it was simply a brief setback and not an indicator of what's to come – hopefully in the octagon.

"I thank everyone for the appreciation, even when I lost," Silva said. "I am thankful for the great training I have at Team Nogueira in Brazil, and the training I get in Florida with the Blackzilians, who are always helping me.

"I will come back with a great will to win and will continue to achieve important victories."

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Hes not the best, obviously, and to be brutally honest hes pretty mediocre as far as MMA skills go, but his sheer size is awkward and he has a half decent ground game so would be a good test for your up and comers like Schaub and the like.