Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Surprises With Knockout, Wants Frank Mir Next

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
ufc134_09_nogueira_vs_schaub_002_large.jpg
Antonio Rodrigo even surprised himself with his knockout of Brendan Schaub at UFC 134, but he knows exactly who he wants next -- Frank Mir. Big Nog did an interview with Tatame where he discussed UFC 134 and his future plans. On the Schaub win:

It was a surprising knockout. The guys expected me to take him down, but I distract him a little. I went for his leg and then his body, only using my striking skills, not using the tactic to take him down. I moved my head a lot too. He started fast, but I dodged. It was awesome. What a big party!

Before going to the fight, Junior (dos Santos) kept telling me to ‘use this one, this one’. It’s like a punch, a jab and a powerful left hand. I got Schaub with his back at Dorea, Rogerio and Junior. And the guys kept yelling ‘do it now, now, now’... When they yelled ‘go’, I moved my head and punched him (laughs). It was automatic, it was the right timing. I guess he thought I would grab his legs and I fit an upper punch. He didn’t know I’d strike as much, It really was a surprising knockout.

On who he wants next and where he wants to fight:

I’d like to fight Frank Mir, I want to fight UFC Japan. I’d like to fight UFC Canada, which will happen later this year. Fighting Frank Mir is something I’d Love to do. I’m motivated to fight him.

Nogueira was finished by TKO for the first time in his career by Mir at UFC 92. He was suffering through a brutal staph infection at the time, and wants to get some revenge badly. There is a lot more to the interview, with Nog talking about his motivations and how felt in the fight. It's a very good read, and you can check the whole thing out here.