Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva Talks About Strikeforce Loss To Daniel Cormier

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
bigfoot_large.png
Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva was coming off the biggest win of his career over the legend Fedor Emelianenko. He was the favorite entering his Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix semi-final bout with late replacement Daniel Cormier. And his confidence was at an all-time high. But it took less than four minutes for his dreams to be crushed and for him to be bounced from the Grand Prix, courtesy of the of heavy hands of Cormier. Silva spoke to Tatame about the loss, and what's next for him. On what went wrong in the fight:

I had a game plan, but I could never imagine he’d punch me like that. I wasn’t underestimating him, but after he punched me I couldn’t see a thing, I wasn’t controlling my body anymore. I was doing things automatically, I could only see shadows. When I stood up I was dizzy. I was really dizzy after that jab, but I went for it. If I’m losing, at least I’ll lose while fighting. It happened, he deserve the credits. I was well prepared, but he punched me. We didn’t even really fought.

"I knew we’d bang for a while and then he’d try to take me down, but he punched me hard first. When a heavyweight punches you is really hard… I felt, felt his coup and I thought I’d be ok on the ground, but when I stood up I was dizzy. It happens. The bests in the world have lost and then turned it over. It’s another obstacle I’ll have to overcome."

Apparently Bigfoot went into the fight injured and will now have surgery, which will force him out of the ADCC's:

I’ll come back to Rio, I have a surgery scheduled. I came to fight knowing I would have to go through a surgery. I didn’t want to leave this GP, once Overeem left, and if I quit it wouldn’t be nice. Since Strikeforce belongs to Zuffa now, I could even be cut off. It’s not an excuse, I used corticoid, but I was reckless. Cormier is to be congratulated, I made a mistake. I’ll go through a surgery now and I won’t fight ADCC. The doctor said that within a month I’ll be back to the trainings, and I hope to fight as soon as possible, maybe in December. I want to fight once again until the end of the year so I have a chance to redeem myself.

He also said he had no idea who he would be facing when he returned, and despite the interviewer asking him about a rematch with Fabricio Werdum, he refused to speculate on any possibilities.

More SBN coverage of Strikeforce Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov