Anthony Pettis Bothered by Bendo's Disinterest in Rematch

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
On Wednesday's edition of The MMA Hour, the man he defeated at UFC 144, Frankie Edgar, practically demanded an immediate rematch. Shortly after that, the manager of rising contender Anthony Pettis called in to make "Showtime's" case as the man who should have the first crack at Henderson's belt.

Apparently, Pettis was among the show's live listeners, and though he was feeling under the weather, asked his manager Mike Roberts to call in on his behalf. Roberts said that while Pettis respects Edgar's resume and stance on a return bout, that he believes he made his own solid case with a spectacular knockout of Joe Lauzon.

Beyond that, sprinkle some added rivalry into the equation, as Pettis felt slighted by Henderson's recent comments about Pettis' place in the pecking order and seeming disinterest in a rematch.

"He's heard some stuff that Ben Henderson has said in the last couple days that really got under his skin," he said. "Ben has said some things basically implying that Anthony is beneath him and he has to do all this stuff to work his way back to a title shot. He keeps referring to him like, 'I see you. You're doing big things. One day…' And Anthony's like, 'Wait a minute. I just beat you over a year ago. I put your face on ESPN for a year and you're talking like you're so much ahead of me.' It got under Anthony's skin a little bit."

Pettis did in fact defeat Henderson in December 2010 in the last match in WEC, aided by an innovative fifth-round "Showtime Kick" off the cage that floored Henderson and sealed the win.

Given that history between them and the fact that Pettis is one up, Roberts said Pettis is actually surprised that Henderson isn't jumping at the chance to face him again and avenge that defeat.

"Anthony was thinking, 'Ben should want this rematch more than anything,'" he said. "He said if he would've lost like that, he would've wanted it. He's perturbed because he just keeps implying that Anthony is so much beneath him. He respects the fact that he won the belt and Anthony was glad that he won the fight, but he's a little perturbed that Ben keeps talking like Anthony is so far beneath him."

I don't know what he's talking about, in every interview I've seen with him since the fight he said he wanted to fight Pettis first to avenge the loss from WEC which included this.

pettis_kick-slo_mo.gif

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I don't get it.....Bendo is miles ahead of Pettis at this point lets be honest.

So what he beat Bendo a year ago, Pettis has done nothing of worth since (spare the Lauzon KO), he got dominated in Guida's most boring fight yet and was lucky to get a split against Stephens. It disappoints me so much that this guy is beinghanded a title shot in a stacked division with way more deserving contenders.

Jim Miller had to win like 7/8 fights in a row to even be considered a top guy, Pettis has one legit win in the UFC. It was poor how he was treated when the WEC merged but that doesnt mean he should be given preferrential treatment now.

I'd make Bendo a heavy favourite for it anyway, FTR. I reckon most others would too.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I agree that Benson is miles ahead of Pettis right now, and the Bendo/Pettis fight seems like the way they're going with this, and that's fine and all with me. That division is SO stacked right now, and Jim Miller is a perfect example of somebody who has fought his ass off and should be fighting for the title, I'll throw Nate Diaz into this conversation too. I just don't want to see guys like Edgar/Pettis involved in the Lightweight title picture the next 2 years and have the title revolve around those two guys. I mean fuck, from Apr of '08 until October of '11 Edgar defended the title four times between Penn and Maynard. I don't think they can do that with how deep that division is now.

Ben

Reaction score
The thing is who is Bendo going to fight in the mean time, yeah winner of Miller/Diaz prob deserves the shot more, but there's no way they should let Bendo sit around until August/September to fight the winner of that fight. A Edgar rematch or a fight with Pettis is the next to logical choices for him.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Well Bendo has a fractured foot and was medically suspended until August anyways.