Anderson Silva Says He Won't Be Retiring Anytime Soon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
UFC_117_Anderson_Silva_Trouble_large.jpg
It appears that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva doesn't agree with what his manager has to say regarding his "impending" retirement. Ed Soares had made some waves a few weeks ago by saying that Anderson is 36 and will probably retire after four more fights. When asked about it, Anderson sang a completely different tune to UOL (translation by Tom Mendes):

It’s not true. As one of my trainer’s say, I still have a lot of bottles to sell. I think I will still fight for another six to seven years. Four years ago I was a bit stressed. I had mentioned to my teacher Minotauro that I would stop after a year. He said there was no reason to do so, and then I stopped thinking about it, had another fight and so I thought; "I will postpone my retirement for some time".

It’s be fine (to fight until 43). Randy Couture stopped when he was over 45 years old, Dan Henderson was the Strikefore Champion close to that age.

This is the second time in recent weeks that Anderson has publicly rebuked his manager. After Black House posted a photo featuring Soares and Chael Sonnen on their page, Anderson decided to share his feelings:

"I didn’t like this photograph either. I take this opportunity to say that only I myself can speak about my fights, my plans and career."

Soares has been the sole mouthpiece for Silva for a long time, and it's interesting to see Anderson firing back like this. In terms of retirement, Anderson certainly doesn't look like a man that's slowing down or is inching towards retirement, and I always found the "four fights" stuff by Soares to be strange. Will we see Anderson fighting for the next seven years? I doubt it. But I think it will be for a whole lot longer than four more fights, and that's a good thing for UFC fans.