AJ Styles comments on new World Heavyweight Championship

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
016_sd_05122023ca_23026--9cb19ba4f496eab9701c38fb75cc3f2e.webp

AJ Styles believes the World Heavyweight Championship is a secondary title.

Styles will wrestle Seth Rollins for the new belt Saturday at Night of Champions in Saudi Arabia. He told the NY Post recently that since Roman Reigns holds all of WWE's other world titles, it's hard not to consider it secondary.

“Is it a secondary?” Styles said in a Zoom interview. “Well if the Raw championship is held by Roman, the SmackDown championship is held by Roman, then how can you argue that it’s not? We had to make a new championship because Roman holds them all.
“What happens if he decides to wrestle for the World Heavyweight championship? It is what it is and we got what we got. If we make the best of it, and if and when Roman does challenge [for it], we beat the brakes off of him, whomever it might be, then we’ll see what title’s secondary.”

When Triple H unveiled the new title belt last month, he said that part of his storyline reason for doing so was that Reigns is only contractually committed to defending the title every so often. Styles continued to say he is more used to a world champion being a workhorse for the company.

“This guy’s gonna be on the pay-per-views, he’s gonna be on the live events, he’s gonna do all these things that need to be done,” Styles continued. “When I was [WWE] champion I was on all the live events, I was on all the pay-per-views, all the TV’s. That’s what you do.
“The price for being the World Heavyweight champion is, yes, you get the recognition of being the champion, but you also have to do the job of being the world champion. You got to be there and you got to do the job.”

Styles has held world titles in several top promotions. He is a two-time WWE Champion, two-time IWGP Heavyweight Champion, three-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion, and two-time TNA World Heavyweight Champion.

Additionally, Styles has twice been voted the Wrestler of the Year twice (2015 & 2016) in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards. He was also voted into the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame in 2017.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Hey lets talk down a new world title they're introducing that i'm competing for. Real smart.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I mean we were all thinking it…

but I wouldn’t come out and say it just days before I’m fighting for it.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
My boy is just keeping it a buck