After Strikeforce Losses, Roger Gracie and Jacare Souza Make Different Choices for AD

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
6135800607_74a96a5072_o_large.jpg
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu legends Roger Gracie and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza both suffered tough losses at last Saturday's Strikeforce Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov. Souza lost his Strikeforce middleweight title to Luke Rockhold and Gracie lost consciousness and his undefeated record to Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal.

Post-fight they're taking very different paths.

Gracie talked to Tatame about the loss and his change of plans for the world's #1 submission grappling event, the Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling Championships (ADCC):

"I won't fight the ADCC. I had in mind maybe I wasn't fighting it, because every time I fought World before fighting MMA I didn't feel good, I didn't feel like my body and mind were 100%. It's too close to risk it. I'm upset about it, but my priority has changed, I'm closer to MMA and leaving Jiu-Jitsu aside a little. In my mind I still want to fight the World, but it's once a year, and I don't mind the rest that much.

"I couldn't do what I have trained to do back then. I believed in my jab and he (King Mo) wasn't bringing much danger," he said. "When I heard Renzo (Gracie) saying there was a minute and a half left for the end of the first round, I relaxed. I didn't have enough time to submit him nor take him down, he wasn't punching me, so I thought I would keep it that way until the second round. That was the first mistake. The second was that he accidentally hit his head against mine, and I got dizzy. I moved backwards, he punched me and I felt. That head was practically an accidental knockout. When I tried to grab him, clinch, his head hit my face and I backed off.

"I was supposed to work on the clinch, because I wouldn't risk trying to grab his legs and take him down because it wasn't the beginning of the fight, so I wasn't using much energy with no purpose. I was supposed to work on the clinch and take him down. And during the first round I didn't try to do that, and suddenly I realized the danger he was putting me in. Losing is terrible. Nobody likes losing, especially being knocked out. But what can I do? I'll train so it won't happen again".

For his part, Jacare plans on competing at ADCC despite his MMA loss, per Tatame:

Former Strikeforce middleweight champion, Ronaldo Jacare will be in Nottingham, England, on September 24 and 25 to compete at ADCC's super fight, against Abu Dhabi champion Braulio Estima.

The BJJ ace lost his Strikeforce middleweight title last weekend after a 25 minute war against Luke Rockhold, but guaranteed the fans he'll still fight at ADCC. "Let's move on, let's keep our head up. Now it's submission time, get ready for me Braulio", Jacare said on his Twitter.

SBN coverage of Strikeforce Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov