Adam Cole talks recovery, leaving NXT, more

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
24a530e0-4db9-4ae2-9344-52ade08012f1.jpg

Adam Cole has opened up regarding his road to recovery and his decision to leave NXT to join AEW.

The AEW star joined Friday’s Wrestling Observer Radio with Dave Meltzer and Garrett Gonzales to talk about a variety of subjects. He opened up about his health situation, saying he was close to an in-ring return.

“I still have a little ways to go until I get to a point where I think I’m ready to rock and roll as far as going to the ring and having a 35-45 minute match, but compared to even two in a half to three months ago, I feel fantastic, I feel really good,” Cole said.

He noted he had suffered a torn labrum and strained his rotator cuff while warming up for a match against Hangman Page at last year’s AEW Revolution event. He then suffered a concussion during his match against Samoa Joe at Double or Nothing, then a second concussion during the four-way match for the IWGP World title at Forbidden Door in June, which he said was much worse.

“I took a bump where I felt a little bit weird, and it wasn’t anyone’s fault, it was a normal bump,” he said. “And I remember thinking ‘okay, that felt a little strange'. And about thirty seconds go by, and then it’s like I have no recollection or memory of what I’m supposed to do [or] what happened in the match.”

In regards to his road to recovery, he said that everything he said in his return promo last month was the truth. He talked about having memory issues due to the concussion, and sometimes he would cry for no reason. He noted there was a test he needed to take two months after his injury where he failed so badly there was concern he would no longer be able to drive. However, two months later he took the same test and “passed with flying colors,” exceeding the average and giving him optimism about an in-ring return.

Cole also talked about his decision to leave WWE and NXT back in 2021, making his debut for AEW at that year’s All Out event. He cited his girlfriend Britt Baker, his friends, and AEW crowds as reasons for making the jump, which he said was a last minute decision.

“I had a wonderful experience working in NXT with Triple H and Shawn Micheals,” he said. “I learned so much from them and it was an absolute joy to be there. All the coaches, everyone. I learned a lot being there and grew as a performer. And then looking at AEW, once again, Britt being there was a huge factor, my friends being there was a huge factor, the audience being so rabid and so wild. Every single week looked so exciting and [it was] something I wanted to be involved in.”

Cole also pointed out that if he had decided to stay with WWE, there were “definitely some questions” regarding his future on Twitch, where he streams regularly.

Since announcing his return several weeks ago, AEW has aired videos showing Adam Cole training in the ring for an in-ring return, though a date for his in-ring return has not been announced.

Reactions: Jimmy King