Ad says 'workers must speak Polish'

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John

The Government's equality watchdog has said it will write to a major sliced meat manufacturer over allegations of discrimination against British job seekers after the firm advertised for workers who "must speak Polish".

Forza AW, which supplies Asda, reportedly emailed out an advert for ongoing factory work on its East Anglia production line via employment agency OSR Recruitment which read: "Applicants must speak Polish. Please call asap!!"

According to the Mail on Sunday, one British job seeker who phoned OSR to inquire about work was first asked if he was Polish and then told: "Actually, you have to be fluent because the health and safety training is all done in Polish."

Neil Kinghan, director general of the Equality and Human Rights Commission said: "Any refusal to register an applicant because of their nationality is unlawful under the Race Relations Act.

"The commission will be writing to Forza AW this week to ask it to respond to the allegations made against the company and to confirm that it will comply with the Race Relations Act and not discriminate against British, or any other workers on the grounds of their nationality."

The news comes after the EHRC published an official inquiry this weekend which showed how agency and migrant workers employed by meat and poultry firms suffer "mistreatment and exploitation".

An EHRC spokesman said: "The commission is concerned that current recruitment practices may be discriminatory in that they indirectly block British workers from getting jobs in the industry. The commission will review action taken over the next 12 months by supermarkets, processing firms and recruitment agencies, and will consider taking enforcement action if necessary."

Forza AW director Max Hilliard told the Mail on Sunday he was unaware of the "must speak Polish" clause and the advert was a mistake due to a breakdown in communications between his firm and OSR Recruitment.

He said "chaos" following a fire where the factory is normally based in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, meant the advert was not properly vetted.

He added: "We employ many English workers as well as Poles and Lithuanians, though I can't give you exact figures, and I assure you categorically that all our training and health and safety briefings are conducted in English, Polish or whatever the employee speaks. We would never turn down an English person for a job on the basis that they didn't speak Polish or any other language."

Yahoo News

That absolutely takes the piss. Now I understand why people say Polish People steal English jobs. This is damn pathetic and shouldn't be happening in England but the government are far too pussy about the situation to do a damn thing.

Axis

A private business should be able to hire who it pleases for the reasons it wishes. The fact that you want the government to get involved shows that you lack the ability to stand on your own as an autonomous being, and you require the assistance of the State, which is quite sad imo.

LKP

Yeah i saw this in the Daily Star yesterday here in the UK. I must say i am not in the least surprised by this lol.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
I saw a sign at a place yesterday that said 'no men allowed'.

Just interesting how people want equality yet signs like this are still being posted.

I think it might have been some kind of club, I'll have to look the next time I am in that area.

Reaction score
Yeah i saw this in the Daily Star yesterday here in the UK. I must say i am not in the least surprised by this lol.

They are just taking over, bro. And It makes me sad to say that.

If I created my business tomorrow and put an advert around saying 'Only English People' I would be called racist & probably face a fine but nooo just because they are from a different country the rules are different. Makes me sick.

LHR, That's fine as long as its a club. The club may feature things a man may not be interested in / have no need being there. It's when it comes down to which country you are from that annoys me.

Reaction score
Evidently, equality is only things a certain person/entity likes.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
My friend tried getting a job at Best Buy by my house but the application said you must speak polish. That was all about the customers though, how can you help a heavliy polish occupied area without speaking polish?