A wrestling monster

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Rated R CMStar

"I deserve to be the one challenging Kurt Angle for the belt at Wrestlemania" - Mark Henry

"The Great Khali says he will go into the Royal Rumble, win it, and then go to Wrestlemania" - Runjin Singh for Khali

"Big Daddy V here will win the Elimination Chamber and go on to Wrestlemania to win the championship". -Matt Striker for Big Daddy V.

I can't help to laugh when I hear those people saying that. The WWE books them strong and tries to convince us that they could go to Mania and main event, but not only the smark in me laughs at it, but also the casual fan does.

That's a character the WWE has been lacking for a while, and that I for once would like to have back. A man that can be booked as a complete monster, and when you hear him saying he will main event Wrestlemania, his wrestling abilities allow the smark in me to say "Yeah, he could very well could", and the casual fan to see him and say, "man, nobody can stop him"

Not since 2000 the WWE has had that character, when Big Show was in that category. However, if Big Show told now he was main eventing Mania, I'd laugh. WWE needs that character, not despairly, but it would certainly help.

Reaction score
I disagree with you there. Brock Lesnar (say what you want about him, I know lots of people hate him) was the best Monster gimmick debut EVER. Yeah he was sloppy and green, but still, he had IMMEDIATE impact as a monster heel. They ruined him by having him job to Big Show at Survivor Series '02, when they should have had him surrender the belt for a title tournament or something so he could get healed and then come back.

I do think we need another undefeatable monster in the ranks though. Somebody who just destroys EVERYBODY over the course of a year. They could build up some young up and comer (Cody Rhodes or whoever), that would lose two PPV's to him, and then beat him at 'Mania for the title, equaling instant over credibility. Great payoff that way.

MikeRaw

Wait, are you saying that you want a monster that can actually wrestle?
Or that you want a monster that actually stays on a role, and crredible, instead of eventually jobbing to guys like HHh and Taker, etc?

I definately agree that I long for a monster who can wrestle. Guys like Big Daddy V and Khali can never actually make it to the main event scene for a long peod of time, much less wrestlemania, because their matches are shit.
If there was a guy who could actually wrestle and put on a good match, then they actually could make it to WM, because people would actually be able to watch a match of theirs.

As for the other part, about them being credbible, and not eventually losing to the big guys, after going undefeated, I also agree.
I can't take a guy like Henry or V seriously when they talk about being the champ or main eventing Mania, because they squash guy slike Funaki, but then wwe books them to end up losing to actual superstars, and it turns them into a joke.

Reaction score
I agree with you. We need a monster that can wrestle, not Khali who's rewarded for being a circus freak.

Who in FCW or OVW is a huge guy that can wrestle? I don't follow OVW or FCW, so I'm at a loss for a wrestling behemoth that can actually move.

The Rated R CMStar

Mikeraw, what I want is a monster that makes the smark in me takes him seriously when he says he will challenge for the belt (has mic skills and WRESTLES), and that makes a casual fan a believer that he can be champion.

I see Mark Henry, Khali and all those guys claim they will become champions and main event Mania, and I laugh. I need a man that has the physical qualities (size) to be booked just like them, but that can't back it down with some wrestling

Montana

Most recently you could say the wwe attempted this with Umaga, Khali and Vladimir Kozlov. As far as size is concerned, the bigger they are, the worse wrestler they will be. Its just how it is. You can't expect a 450 pounder to move or wrestle like a 250 lb guy. From those 3 guys, none have mic skills. Umaga is a great wrestler, for his size. Khali is booked to wrestle the way he does. I'm not a fan of Kozlov, but some people like his style, i guess.

The biggest monster sucess imo was Yokozuna (if you don't include Brock) The reason he was the best wasn't because he was a great wrestler, or was the biggest guy almost ever. He knew pyschology, and they booked him perfectly. He was the definition of Dominat in his main run. He beat Macho, Bret Hart, Hogan, and the Undertaker. How many people can claim that?

Reaction score
I forgot about Yoko. Touche' Montana. Jamal Fatu's older brother, lol

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
there really aren't any "monsters" that can get people's attention now. because the way the WWE has been pushing their big guys recently is repetitive. and most of the time, they have some other gimmick, like Kozlov with the Russia thing, Great Khali just for being himself, and Umaga as the "Samoan Bulldozer." there really isn't any big guy that you could take seriously, like when you see him in a match, it's like he's going to literally kill his opponent.

Though he's not in WWE, the booking and wrestling of Takeshi Morishima is how I would want to see a WWE monster booked. Just have him wrestle in entertaining matches, making him look dangerous even if he does get beaten up a little.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Takeshi Morishima killed ROH for me, so he would most definitely end up killing WWE for me if they dare to hire him. lol. As for a big man that could pull off wrestling AND be a monster AND have mic skills, you wont find one. For that you need a guy like Mike Awesome or Bam Bam Bigelow, and that kinda breed of wrestler simply doesn't exist anymore. At least there isn't anybody that I know of that can do it. The closest possible thing you could find on the indy circuit right now is Brodie Lee. And even his mic skills arn't up to par on what would be required.

Like you said, its not a necessary thing right now, its just too much nowadays to expect a good 300lbs wrestling machine with charisma.

Reaction score
I was only the casual fan when Uncle Kozlov debuted, and I really thought he was the unstoppable monster.

Top priority I see for the WWE is that "next big thing" where fans of all levels of passion will love to love/hate him.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
Takeshi Morishima killed ROH for me, so he would most definitely end up killing WWE for me if they dare to hire him. lol.

I didn't mean for them to bring in Morishima completely, but just have a "monster" that's in competitive matches instead of just having him in squashes for about 3 months until they get title shots. Umaga could've probably done that instead of just killing jobbers.

the thing with Big Show was that the fans already knew him from WCW as the Giant, so that probably helped him get over as a monster. and as soon as he debuted, he was already in a big role for the WWF.

Haight

Reaction score
I really had high hopes for Kozlov to become the kind of heel who would be that dominant threat in the WWE. All I wanted was someone who could humble Triple H and destroy his ego. I wanted Kozlov to be a dangerous man. A man who demonstrated feats of physical strength every chance he got. I wanted Kozlov to grab Triple H's sledgehammer and snap it over his own head. I wanted Anti-American behavior from Kozlov. I wanted Kozlov to hang out with Russian associates. Instead what I got was absolutely NOTHING! Boring run-ins where Kozlov attacks someone after a match
are fun the first 4 times you see them, after that, you're left scratching you're head thinking "What else can this guy do?" I'll be honest here. I'm not looking forward to a Kozlov/Triple H match up because build up simply is not there. Kozlovs undefeated streak is not enough. He needs to be more intense...more brutal. He needs to move faster He needs to embarrass Triple H and humble him. This won't happen because creative has their thumbs up their asses.

Moving more towards the topic at hand. In the Eighties, I remember King Kong Bundy crushing the ribs of Hulk Hogan with two splashes in the turnbuckles. Watching that single act and later on with bandages around Hulks abdomen, cemented for me the definition of what a true monster heel was supposed to be. This guy was terrifying. Now I'm not saying what worked then will work today...BUT WWE isn't even trying AT ALL
to make their heels intimidating. They don't DO anything! Monster heels dutifully come to the ring and maybe they'll attack someone from behind. Thats it.

To sum up...Maybe it's time to bring in another masked character
I'm not saying that this is a magic solution but it seemed to work for Kane back in the day. By removing all identity and having this mysterious monster kicking everyones ass may be a good start. Again. I'm not saying this will work, but then again nothing they're doing right now is working so why not give it a try

Reaction score
I really had high hopes for Kozlov to become the kind of heel who would be that dominant threat in the WWE. All I wanted was someone who could humble Triple H and destroy his ego. I wanted Kozlov to be a dangerous man. A man who demonstrated feats of physical strength every chance he got. I wanted Kozlov to grab Triple H's sledgehammer and snap it over his own head. I wanted Anti-American behavior from Kozlov. I wanted Kozlov to hang out with Russian associates. Instead what I got was absolutely NOTHING! Boring run-ins where Kozlov attacks someone after a match
are fun the first 4 times you see them, after that, you're left scratching you're head thinking "What else can this guy do?" I'll be honest here. I'm not looking forward to a Kozlov/Triple H match up because build up simply is not there. Kozlovs undefeated streak is not enough. He needs to be more intense...more brutal. He needs to move faster He needs to embarrass Triple H and humble him. This won't happen because creative has their thumbs up their asses.

Moving more towards the topic at hand. In the Eighties, I remember King Kong Bundy crushing the ribs of Hulk Hogan with two splashes in the turnbuckles. Watching that single act and later on with bandages around Hulks abdomen, cemented for me the definition of what a true monster heel was supposed to be. This guy was terrifying. Now I'm not saying what worked then will work today...BUT WWE isn't even trying AT ALL
to make their heels intimidating. They don't DO anything! Monster heels dutifully come to the ring and maybe they'll attack someone from behind. Thats it.

To sum up...Maybe it's time to bring in another masked character
I'm not saying that this is a magic solution but it seemed to work for Kane back in the day. By removing all identity and having this mysterious monster kicking everyones ass may be a good start. Again. I'm not saying this will work, but then again nothing they're doing right now is working so why not give it a try

Best post thus far, IMO.

You're right. The Monsters have been watered and wimped down so badly that there's no storyline based upon legit revenge anymore. We need another brutal, dominant monster, the kind of guy that "hurts" (kayfabe) faces, and takes them out of action for a couple of weeks. This way, alot of guys could get a couple weeks off to really heal up when they need to.

The Rated R CMStar

Saying that WWE have not built monsters like that is far fetched. Umaga did it. Umaga was built like that for an entire year. The Great Khali took out The Undertaker with his chop and then with his Vise Grip he took out Ric Flair.

In 2006, Mark Henry sent Paul Birchill back to OVW, Chris Benoit to a sabbatical, took out Kurt Angle, took out Batista.

BTW, I doubt creative is the reason why Kozlov doesn't look credible. Sure, he only does run ins, but creative is not why he's so slow and boring.

In current days, the only monster that has mastered the mixing of wrestling like a true monster but be entertaining is Umaga. Kozlov is too old school monster to get over in 2009, same for Khali. Back in the day, they would have faced Hogan over and over again in amazing feuds. In this decade, they just plain suck as they cant wrestle.

Evil Austin

I agree totally -- Umaga is the monster of 2009 -- Umaga has the gimmick with the Samoan background. The rest just have the monster issue they are just plain and boring and Umaga has some interest into him.