• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Eerie_Cherub

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here. Recently returning wrestling fan and I wanted to ask you guys questions.

So in AEW recently Mercedes Mone (Ex WWE), Okada (Ex NJPW) and Will Ospreay (Ex NJPW) have all been signed to AEW. Mercedes Mone is best known of course for being Sasha Banks, a home grown WWE talent who main evented during the women's revolution, while Okada and Ospreay might be more familiar to Japanese wrestling fans as both of them are/were top card draws in NJPW.

I get the impression that Tony Khan pays these big stars generously so they can merge into AEW under the assumption that they will immediately be over and improve the show's ratings closer to debut level viewership and that Tony Khan may not be aware of how important it is to use his talent wisely, focusing heavily on character development and creating storylines and matches that are entertaining and don't ruin kayfabe.

I know a particular podcaster who may or may not be discussed much on this forum (I just know he's a taboo name in some wrestling communities) who is very critical of AEW for these reasons and for talent having unrealistic matches with underdeveloped characters, where wrestlers are sometimes even blurring the lines between face and heel, or a face acting like a heel in the ring and vice versa.

So I'm just curious what people think of all this.

Are Okada, Mercedes, Ospreay etc actually capable of improving the product's ratings and drawing Tony Khan money without carefully crafted character development, storylines, fueds etc?

I also have to wonder whether or not these signings are alienating to the veteran AEW talent. I mean it would make sense.. you're working for the company for years and suddenly these famous stars from other companies are sworn in, getting pushed more than you while making more than you? I'm just wondering how that might feel. I'd imagine some of AEWs native talent might feel some hostility over it and I wonder how that might affect locker room culture.

Really hoping for some thoughtful opinions

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I think we have an established ceiling of what AEW can do......these "major name signings" only prove that.

Best to just enjoy what you got and never question......because certain AEW fans will act like you insulted them personally if you question anything.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
You can talk about Jim Cornette here. I'll think you're a tool but he's not Voldemort.

I don't work for AEW, all I care about is they stay in business and Tony keeps producing a product I like. I don't care if a product I dislike will do better business...I don't work for them. If I ever have fear they're going out of business then maybe I'll change my mind.

I think WWE should be WWE and AEW should be AEW and you can watch one both or neither depending on your personal preference.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
some day 1 talent in any promotion are sometimes going to feel alienated - such is the business if you're on the bubble. Main Eventers are going to love having more main eventers to main event with, to be cheeky. Some people in WWE weren't thrilled Punk came in. People got over it as long as business is good and people aren't actively fighting.

I personally don't care about tv ratings. Crowds have been ranging from ok to good. PPVs are selling out. PPV buys are doing really well. I don't really care about playing armchair investor. That's mostly just noise to me.

Money wise, it's not my money and I think everyone is still underpaid. don't care.

I feel the last part is kind of a loaded question, as is a lot of the post if I am being honest. You're implying AEW doesn't do stories or characters, which is factually untrue. It may not be yours or someone else's cup of of tea, but not liking something does not equate the lack of something being present.

TL DR - I actually think AEW is exactly where it wants to be right now and I think the majority of the fanbase would whole heartedly agree.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
some day 1 talent in any promotion are sometimes going to feel alienated - such is the business if you're on the bubble. Main Eventers are going to love having more main eventers to main event with, to be cheeky. Some people in WWE weren't thrilled Punk came in. People got over it as long as business is good and people aren't actively fighting.

I personally don't care about tv ratings. Crowds have been ranging from ok to good. PPVs are selling out. PPV buys are doing really well. I don't really care about playing armchair investor. That's mostly just noise to me.

Money wise, it's not my money and I think everyone is still underpaid. don't care.

I feel the last part is kind of a loaded question, as is a lot of the post if I am being honest. You're implying AEW doesn't do stories or characters, which is factually untrue. It may not be yours or someone else's cup of of tea, but not liking something does not equate the lack of something being present.

TL DR - I actually think AEW is exactly where it wants to be right now and I think the majority of the fanbase would whole heartedly agree.

The only thing I'd add is barring some disaster, they're certainly getting a great TV deal even if it's not even as big as Tony originally wanted for whatever reason bc it would basically cement their longevity on top of Tony's own money.

These questions never seem to actually be "what does AEW need to do to not die" which is what it would need to be for me to care about, it's "what does AEW need to do to beat WWE" and my thought process is they shouldn't bc then they might die trying :lol if WWE still sucked maybe I'd also think of it differently but rn I love how different but good both are. I do not want one to be similar but worse even if they're both good, I like variety in wrestling.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
They're going to Max because TNT and TBS are going to be scrubbed in about 3 years.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Absolutely nobody should be trying to compete with WWE because it'd be a losing battle, and especially nowadays there is nothing wrong with being a viable #2 or #3 promotion.

I also don't think Tony Khan actually cares if AEW makes money or not. It's been a passion project for him since the beginning and he'll invest as much money as he wants into it.

Reactions: Eerie_Cherub

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Absolutely nobody should be trying to compete with WWE because it'd be a losing battle, and especially nowadays there is nothing wrong with being a viable #2 or #3 promotion.

I also don't think Tony Khan actually cares if AEW makes money or not. It's been a passion project for him since the beginning and he'll invest as much money as he wants into it.

I'd slightly disagree. He definitely wants it to be somewhat sustainable otherwise he'd just produce 7 hour dream match cards weekly with anyone he wanted bc that seems to be actually what he wants to do but he makes concessions lol but he's def not batting an eye at any losses they have, and I doubt they've come close to a profit yet either. But likewise, I doubt they're close to breaking the Khan bank

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I'd slightly disagree. He definitely wants it to be somewhat sustainable otherwise he'd just produce 7 hour dream match cards weekly with anyone he wanted bc that seems to be actually what he wants to do but he makes concessions lol but he's def not batting an eye at any losses they have, and I doubt they've come close to a profit yet either. But likewise, I doubt they're close to breaking the Khan bank
Yeah, if it's sustainable and slightly profitable, that's very good, but I highly doubt running AEW at a slight loss will really bother Tony or Shahid. They have the Jacksonville Jaguars and other major investments that are breaking the bank for them.

Reactions: Eerie_Cherub

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
And who knows, in another 10-20 years, maybe Tony Khan will want to sell part of the company to another investor, which is something I've thought about for a while.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
The only thing I'd add is barring some disaster, they're certainly getting a great TV deal even if it's not even as big as Tony originally wanted for whatever reason bc it would basically cement their longevity on top of Tony's own money.

These questions never seem to actually be "what does AEW need to do to not die" which is what it would need to be for me to care about, it's "what does AEW need to do to beat WWE" and my thought process is they shouldn't bc then they might die trying :lol if WWE still sucked maybe I'd also think of it differently but rn I love how different but good both are. I do not want one to be similar but worse even if they're both good, I like variety in wrestling.
Being the DC to Marvel or the Pepsi to Coke is def the way to go - you're not going to beat the machine especially when it's running at full speed like it is right now.

Do I think they will be future period where WWE is colder and AEW is hot? Yes. Do I think they'll ever have an equal market share as WWE ? No.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Maybe just focus on youand not the other guys.........trying to compete, that's some 2011 TNA mentality.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Also.......the best advice I got was from Scarface......."never underestimate the other guys greed........people who want it all never last in this business".

Solid advice from Frank Lopez the real good guy in that movie.

Eerie_Cherub

Reaction score
Well, AEW's ratings have gone down some more.

Some people have already pointed out that it doesn't matter much. The show will be fine. Tony Khan is in the unique position where he can easily run the show at a loss. I feel like when he brings in these big names he's doing so as a fan more than as a businessman. He gets to feel special for having some of the most popular stars in wrestling working for him.

I want to see their ratings go up personally. Not because I think it's that important, but instead because I think any consistent rise in viewership would be a positive reflection on the show as a whole, indicating that something being done is going very well for them.