2009 Most Overrated

• Thread starter Beer Money Army
  • Start date
  • Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

2009 Most Overated

• Batista

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Big Show

• John Cena

• The Miz

• Randy Orton

• R-Truth

• Tommy Dreamer

• Maryse

• Cody Rhodes

• Others Please post

• Total voters

Beer Money Army

so far in the 1st 7 months of 2009.

i'll say my opinion soon as i make my choice would be Batista so far. I havent enjoyed his 2009 stint within WWE. His feud with Orton was meh and the Matches weren't good. His promo on Raw doesn't have that Wow and Zam to it.

My 2nd choice would be probably be Big Show or John cena or The Miz.

Hometown Kid

Are we talking overrated by WWE or like by people? But either way, Randy Orton and John Morrison are more ridiculously overhyped than any 2 "internet sensations" in recent memory.

For a guy with a boring moveset and "charisma" is limited to making faces and letting spittle fly everywhere, he was apart of one of the worst Main Events in 'Mania history. Although Trips was at fault more for that, he didn't drop that turd alone. To be fair, his booking has been so horrible, I can understand some sympathy to his situation.

On to Morrison...this guy is like the opposite of Orton. He's not boring, but he's without a clue on how to wrestle an actual match. He's got flips and cool kicks, he's got cool names for his moves, he's got abs~! Dear Lord, let him win MITB! And don't even get me started on his promo skills, He obviously tries to deliver Rock-like lines with all the mic skills of Vickie Guerrerro. :nonono:

I'm sure everyone will disagree since I ripped on the 2 golden boys but meh...that's who came to mind.

Beer Money Army

i actually like Morrison, but i think 2010 will be his time to shine.

Hometown Kid

i actually like Morrison, but i think 2010 will be his time to shine.

He's fun to watch, and is better as a face, but the "next HBK" and "next Jericho" stuff needs to stop. You said overrated, not worst wrestler after all.

Beer Money Army

He's fun to watch, and is better as a face, but the "next HBK" and "next Jericho" stuff needs to stop. You said overrated, not worst wrestler after all.

True that, I wouldnt call him the next HBK, i would call him the next john morrison.

jim ross in the last 90's/early 2000's use to say jeff Hardy is the next shawn michaels :smh ( i use to hate that, cause i cant stand jeff hardy)

Qwake

cause i cant stand jeff hardy
You're awesome !!

The most overrated imo would be Kofi Kingston, everybody praises him and treats him as if he will become big someday (I haven't seen to much praise on here as of late, but alot of people used too), he's not bad in the ring, he has a few minor slipups but his moves aren't anything outstanding, also he can't use a mic, either that or he's afraid of them because I've never seen him use one for long. He's one of the top most overrated.

Jeff Hardy is actually another who is really overated, I don't know why everybody likes a guy who sucks on the mic, botches in the ring alot and does drugs resulting in himself getting suspended so much, he brings hype to a match but everything else is overated. There are probably more but meh, I dunno.

Reaction score
I don't understand some of the poll options. Why is John Cena on the list and Triple H isn't even an option?

My vote goes to CM Punk. I don't hate Punk, I just don't see anything special about him. If he were getting reactions like Jeff Hardy, then I wouldn't have any problem with Punk being made champion. But he gets mediocre reactions at best. After his horrible run last year, and the fact that the crowd isn't behind him enough to justify such a big push, I keep wondering why the WWE put the belt back on him. If they wanted to just change it up and put the belt on someone new despite the fact that they aren't getting great crowd reactions, then why not MVP, Morrison or Christian? I'm not suggesting that they would make great champions either because they are unproven, but CM Punk has already had his chance and failed, and he didn't show any signs of improvement before getting his second title.

Airfixx

^^^Not that I'm not enjoying the Punk/Hardy storyline, but if they were gonna put the strap back on Punk they shoulda given him a full-blown push by means of a big title victory or an epic heel turn (To make US believe in him like they appear to).

As for over-rated this year...
Batista (by fans & WWE alike),
Christian (by fans),
Big Show (by WWE),
Zak Ryder (by fans*),
Cena (by WWE.... No amount of enthusiasm for the business or workrate was gonna make his fued of that length with Big Show come good.)

(*He comes out on his first week looking lame, cuts a totally forgettable promo, coins some non-sensicle catchphrase and already there's peeps saying "This guys got a future".)

Beer Money Army

I don't understand some of the poll options. Why is John Cena on the list and Triple H isn't even an option?

why do people think HHH is overrated, Is it cause he married the boss daughter? :smh (while i dont see that as a excuse, due to the fact HHH has been in WWE for almost 15 yrs and has performed very well in those 15 years) This poll is by the performance of the wrestlers within 2009.

HHH has been performing quite well, Not as awesome as some of his other years, but a hell of a lot better than what John cena has done in 2009

Reaction score
why do people think HHH is overrated, Is it cause he married the boss daughter? :smh (while i dont see that as a excuse, due to the fact HHH has been in WWE for almost 15 yrs and has performed very well in those 15 years) This poll is by the performance of the wrestlers within 2009.
I never said I thought Triple H was overrated, but I question why he's not even an option when John Cena is. If it's about performance, how the fuck does John Cena make the list. His performance has been as solid as ever, and he hasn't been in every main event like Triple H.

HHH has been performing quite well, Not as awesome as some of his other years, but a hell of a lot better than what John cena has done in 2009
Cena has easily outperformed Triple H this year, just like he has since 2005. Find me a Cena match that had the crowd as dead as Triple H's match against Orton at Wrestlemania. Say what you want about his matches with the Big Show, the fact is the crowd was into those matches. Take a look at what he did for 3 weeks in April. He had damn good matches against Swagger and Jericho on Raw, and probably the second best match of the year against Edge at Backlash. Triple H doesn't have a single match better than any of those 3 from John Cena this year.

Beer Money Army

I never said I thought Triple H was overrated, but I question why he's not even an option when John Cena is. If it's about performance, how the fuck does John Cena make the list. His performance has been as solid as ever, and he hasn't been in every main event like Triple H.

Cena has easily outperformed Triple H this year, just like he has since 2005. Find me a Cena match that had the crowd as dead as Triple H's match against Orton at Wrestlemania. Say what you want about his matches with the Big Show, the fact is the crowd was into those matches. Take a look at what he did for 3 weeks in April. He had damn good matches against Swagger and Jericho on Raw, and probably the second best match of the year against Edge at Backlash. Triple H doesn't have a single match better than any of those 3 from John Cena this year.

his match with swagger was **1/2 for a 8 min match (i would say it was decent atleast, maybe a bit better without the few botches), and with Y2J i think i given it *** for a no contest bout (nice match with a horrible ending).

Lol those Big show Vs cena matches were lame. (HHH Vs Big Show at NYR has shitted all over them).

I don't rate matches by crowd reaction. (hell the crowd doesn't know what is good for them. Just watch the promo of Cm Punk explaining to Jeff hardy about the Money in the Bank.) The Poll is about Crowd Reactions, it's strictly on Performance and the way they are being used, not on crowd reaction.

while HHH hasn't had a **** match of 2009, he still wrestles a pretty consiant at each time he has a Match, while John cena is up and down, so far after that match with Edge at Backlash he has gone down.( Cena vs JBL wasn't good from R.Rumble, Triple Threat at Mania was decent, Cena/show saga wasn't good, cena/miz was meh, nothing special).

while HHH vs orton Has had that Bad match at Mania, But that match is anything better than Big show vs Cena saga or Cena vs JBL at rumble.

HHH vs Orton LMS was either **1/2/***.

Reaction score
his match with swagger was **1/2 for a 8 min match (i would say it was decent atleast, maybe a bit better without the few botches)
It was a damn fine match against a guy that is still green. It was easily Swagger's best match and the match that gave him his best exposure. How many young guys has Triple H made look good this year?

, and with Y2J i think i given it *** for a no contest bout (nice match with a horrible ending).
It was about as good of a match as you are going to see on TV. It had to be the best TV match all year long. The majority of TV matches that feature two big stars doesn't have a finish, but blame booking for that. Cena and Jericho could only put on as good of a match as the time and booking would allow them to, and they did a damn good job from the time that bell rang up until the time the WWE decided to have Edge interfere.

Lol those Big show Vs cena matches were lame.
They might have been lame in your eyes, but the simple fact is that the crowd was into every single one of those matches. That's all that matters.

(HHH Vs Big Show at NYR has shitted all over them).
Umm... You bring up a match that happened in 2006, in a thread created by yourself in which you said the criteria was performances in 2009. So what the fuck does a 2006 match have to do with this discussion?

I don't rate matches by crowd reaction. (hell the crowd doesn't know what is good for them. Just watch the promo of Cm Punk explaining to Jeff hardy about the Money in the Bank.) The Poll is about Crowd Reactions, it's strictly on Performance and the way they are being used, not on crowd reaction.
How can you rate a match and not include crowd reaction? The sole purpose of putting on a match is to entertain the fans. If the fans aren't into the match, you aren't putting on a good performance. John Cena clearly entertains the audience every time he goes out there, which is proven by the fact that he gets a reaction not only during his entrance like Triple H, but all throughout a match. That proves that John Cena is a top notch performer and in no way is he overrated.

while HHH hasn't had a **** match of 2009, he still wrestles a pretty consiant at each time he has a Match, while John cena is up and down, so far after that match with Edge at Backlash he has gone down.( Cena vs JBL wasn't good from R.Rumble, Triple Threat at Mania was decent, Cena/show saga wasn't good, cena/miz was meh, nothing special).
Look at the level of talent that Cena has worked with compared to Triple H. Aside from his parking lot brawl with John Cena last year, show me a good JBL match since his return to wrestling. The Miz is an unproven worker, and yet Cena has managed to get decent matches out of him, especially this last one on Monday. As for the Big Show, this comes down to the fact that you probably just don't like to watch a slow big guy in the ring. Like I have been saying though, the fans have been into those matches and that's all that matters. Triple H on the other hand has done nothing but work with one of the top performers and probably the best heel in wrestling today. They have had great build ups yet haven't delivered in the ring.

while HHH vs orton Has had that Bad match at Mania, But that match is anything better than Big show vs Cena saga or Cena vs JBL at rumble.
The fans in attendance disagree with you.

HHH vs Orton LMS was either **1/2/***.
Cena vs. Edge LMS was either ****/****1/2.

Qwake

It was a damn fine match against a guy that is still green. It was easily Swagger's best match and the match that gave him his best exposure. How many young guys has Triple H made look good this year?

It was about as good of a match as you are going to see on TV. It had to be the best TV match all year long. The majority of TV matches that feature two big stars doesn't have a finish, but blame booking for that. Cena and Jericho could only put on as good of a match as the time and booking would allow them to, and they did a damn good job from the time that bell rang up until the time the WWE decided to have Edge interfere.

They might have been lame in your eyes, but the simple fact is that the crowd was into every single one of those matches. That's all that matters.

Umm... You bring up a match that happened in 2006, in a thread created by yourself in which you said the criteria was performances in 2009. So what the fuck does a 2006 match have to do with this discussion?

How can you rate a match and not include crowd reaction? The sole purpose of putting on a match is to entertain the fans. If the fans aren't into the match, you aren't putting on a good performance. John Cena clearly entertains the audience every time he goes out there, which is proven by the fact that he gets a reaction not only during his entrance like Triple H, but all throughout a match. That proves that John Cena is a top notch performer and in no way is he overrated.

Look at the level of talent that Cena has worked with compared to Triple H. Aside from his parking lot brawl with John Cena last year, show me a good JBL match since his return to wrestling. The Miz is an unproven worker, and yet Cena has managed to get decent matches out of him, especially this last one on Monday. As for the Big Show, this comes down to the fact that you probably just don't like to watch a slow big guy in the ring. Like I have been saying though, the fans have been into those matches and that's all that matters. Triple H on the other hand has done nothing but work with one of the top performers and probably the best heel in wrestling today. They have had great build ups yet haven't delivered in the ring.

The fans in attendance disagree with you.

Cena vs. Edge LMS was either ****/****1/2.

Dipset rates the matches on how good the in-ring work was, you're not going to go and rate a match on how much the people in attendance liked it, rating is an opinion, you're not going to go and rate something on how much the other people liked it, thats just fucking stupid.

I'm not a fan of HHH, but he's made Randy Orton look good this year, and he's still very young, he's one of the reasons Randy got so over this year because when Orton came back from injury, he was nothing, fans were cheering and booing him when he was a heel but HHH helped him get back over. Cena has done nothing for the young talent, unless you call Miz trash talking him for weeks straight only to have Cena come out and no sell whatever Miz does and then beat him in an under 5minute match then yeah. Cena done hardly anything for Swagger, it didn't change him much and there match wasn't anything great, but of course the fans were into the match, they love Cena so when he's competing they get excited.

He brought up the 2006 match because HHH/Big Show put on a much better match then Cena/Big Show did THIS year.

Cena Vs Edge LMS was on PPV, you'd expect them to have a good match especially to end there feud, HHH Vs Orton LMS recently was on TV to enhance the feud, thats why they were nothing alike.

Btw, just for the record, Jack Swagger if overated too.

Reaction score
Dipset rates the matches on how good the in-ring work was, you're not going to go and rate a match on how much the people in attendance liked it, rating is an opinion, you're not going to go and rate something on how much the other people liked it, thats just fucking stupid.
Actually what’s fucking stupid is star rating systems. There are so many reasons as to why they are flawed. But what’s also stupid is to not even include the fans when discussing how good or bad a match is. Until the day comes that pro wrestling isn’t intended to entertain an audience you always need to take into account the fans when discussing things like how good a match was or how good a wrestler is.

I'm not a fan of HHH, but he's made Randy Orton look good this year, and he's still very young,
I suppose this is my fault for using the word young. What I mean is unestablished, and Orton was damn sure established before they started feuding this year.

he's one of the reasons Randy got so over this year because when Orton came back from injury, he was nothing, fans were cheering and booing him when he was a heel but HHH helped him get back over.
You do realize that you’re completely contradicting yourself, right? If the fans were cheering and booing Orton when he came back, then clearly he was over. So how did Triple H help someone that was over, get back over?

Cena has done nothing for the young talent, unless you call Miz trash talking him for weeks straight only to have Cena come out and no sell whatever Miz does and then beat him in an under 5minute match then yeah.
I take it you missed their match from Raw this past Monday?

Cena done hardly anything for Swagger, it didn't change him much and there match wasn't anything great,
Are you kidding me? For one thing it was easily Jack Swagger’s best match in the WWE. This was a match where Cena proved that he could get a lot out of a guy that is still very green in the ring. Fit Finlay is always praised for his in ring work and is one of the WWE’s trainers, yet he put on a horrible match with Swagger at No Way Out. As for this match not doing anything for Swagger, that’s ridiculous. He looked very strong against the top star in the company. How is that not doing anything for Swagger?

but of course the fans were into the match, they love Cena so when he's competing they get excited.
This right here proves what my point has been from the very start. The fans are ALWAYS into John Cena matches, so how on earth is he overrated?

He brought up the 2006 match because HHH/Big Show put on a much better match then Cena/Big Show did THIS year.
This poll is by the performance of the wrestlers within 2009.

So the creator of the thread says that it’s about performance in 2009 and even goes on to say that Triple H has outperformed Cena in 2009, but then he brings up a match from 2006. Again I ask the question, what does a 2006 match have to do with this discussion?

If you want to bring up matches from previous years I could talk about Cena vs. Orton from Summerslam 07 that completely blows every Triple H/Orton match from 09 out of the water, but that does nothing in a discussion about performances in 2009.

Cena Vs Edge LMS was on PPV, you'd expect them to have a good match especially to end there feud, HHH Vs Orton LMS recently was on TV to enhance the feud, thats why they were nothing alike.
Doesn’t change the fact that Cena has put on a much better LMS match this year than Triple H has. You’re right about something though. The majority of the time TV matches aren’t as good as PPV matches. Yet Cena’s match against Chris Jericho on Raw with no finish was better than ANY match Triple H has had this year on TV or on PPV.

Btw, just for the record, Jack Swagger if overated too.
Agreed.