12 words that have been so overused...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Seen this on a blog post, thought it was interesting.
12 words that have been so overused they really don’t mean anything anymore:

literally: Originally meant “in a literal or strict sense,” but is used as a more general intensifier for things that are not strictly true. Because of this, “in a figurative sense,” the exact opposite of the original meaning, has now been added to the dictionary as a definition for literally.
unique: Originally meant “unlike anything else,” but is used to mean “different, to some degree, from the standard or the norm.”
awesome: Originally meant “causing feelings of fear or wonder,” but is used as a general, positive descriptor like “great” or “cool.”
amazing: Originally meant “causing overwhelming surprise or astonishment,” but is used as a general, positive descriptor like “great” or “cool.”
totally: Originally meant “completely, in every part,” but is now used as a general intensifier, much like “really.”
basically: Originally meant “essentially” or “fundamentally,” but is now used as general verbal filler.
incredible: Originally meant “impossible to believe,” but is now used as a general, positive descriptor like “great” or “cool.”
really: Originally meant “actually true,” but is now used frequently as a general intensifier.
very: Meaning “to a high degree,” we all just need to stop using it in every other sentence.
honestly: Originally meant “in an honest and genuine manner,” but is now often used as general verbal filler.
absolutely: Originally meant “in a complete and total manner,” but is now used as a general intensifier.
unbelievable: Originally meant “impossible to believe,” but is now used as a general, positive descriptor.

So for me, the words honestly and literally drive me nuts. Those are two of the worst overused words in the English language. I feel like they have lost almost all meaning because of the way they have been used on social media alone.

What are some words that you think are being overused to the point of having little to no meaning?

Reactions: Nikki Nitro

JBan

Reaction score
Pretty much every swear word.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
:finger::stfu::gtfo::fry::emoji_middle_finger:
200.gif

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Holy - something that used to mean sanctified now is just an adjective for swear words that follow.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Holy - something that used to mean sanctified now is just an adjective for swear words that follow.
200.gif

Can add in HOLYdays as well. Most holidays are rubbish anymore. Nothing holy about them cept for the holes they leave in your wallet. lol

• Haha
Reactions: RedDwarfTechy

JBan

Reaction score
Not trying to be religious or anything, but phrases like, "oh my God," or simply the word God is very overused.

don't kill me joey styles