Zuffa Merging UFC and WEC

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Veritas

Reaction score
Source: www.f4wonline.com

WEC is merging with UFC, eliminating the WEC brand after the 12/16 show. They are adding the bantamweight and featherweight titles to the UFC.

This means a new deal with Versus, four UFC fights in 2011.

Jose Aldo Jr. will defend his featherweight title on the 1/1 show in Las Vegas.

The 12/16 Ben Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis WEC lightweight title match winner gets a shot at the Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard winner for the next shot.

There will likely be less UFC/WEC on television in the next year because of the net loss from the dropping of the WEC dates. The way the math would look, Versus was airing eight WEC and two UFC shows in 2009. Now it would be four, so it's six less events.

All WEC employees will be brought into UFC with new roles.

The Wreckage show on Versus has been eliminated and the only MMA on Versus will be the four UFC events per year.

No decision has been made regarding how to utilize old tapes with current WEC stars on Spike.

----

This is a good idea in my opinion. When UFC is considered far and wide the top company in the game, it just doesn't sense for Zuffa to be trying to promote another "minor league" company as well. There are alot of really, really good fighters in WEC and now they'll have the chance to really shine in the UFC. I've also been wondering when UFC would implement some lighter weight titles just to help carry the extremely large number of shows they run. This way they won't have to go through the process of building the titles up because the hardcore fans will already know and recognize the value of the titles and current Champions.

I'd like to see both Lightweight titles carried into the Octagon and the fight be referred to as a unification match when the time comes. They sorta did it with the PRIDE Champions but those belts were never carried into the cage.

The only other thing I'm wondering is if the Bantamweight and Featherweight title belts will get the UFC makeover since all the other belts are identical. I'm sure they will.

pumpt73

Reaction score
This is the best thing that could have happened, but it's also kinda sad for the more diehard type fans. You probably will still get to see quite a bit of free events, but, you probably will be paying to see title fights. Understandable, just kinda sucked because I can't tell you how many solid free title fights WEC provided. Zuffa had to do this if they were going to keep making the claim that they were the best promotion on the planet. I don't think there is another promotion that has a roll call of weight classes like this now with this kind of talent. Bellator is moving in that direction, but they're not nearly as deep as the UFC will be now. This truly makes the UFC the absolute top dog in MMA. Unlike Boxing where you have 3-4 recognized World Titles, MMA will have one major recognized title, and I think promotions like Strikeforce and Bellator can be considered your NABF's of the MMA world now.

It has it's pro's and con's, but it had to happen. Instead of having to promote 2 different promotions, just push one name and be done with it. This is really big for Benson Henderson of all fighters. This kid has the opportunity if he defends successfully, to go from sort of an unknown amongst the general MMA fans, to UFC champion in about a years time. This is good for the sport as well as now some of these fantastic fighters like Dom Cruz, Joseph Benavidez, Aldo, Henderson, etc will get a lot more mainstream recognition.

Reaction score
What I'm wondering now is with seven or so different weight classes, are we going to start seeing a weekly UFC show on Spike or Versus for the up and comers along with the PPVs for the big name fighters and their title fights.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Well I don't know if UFC can do a weekly show just yet. Fighting isn't like wrestling. Wrestlers are almost guarenteed to be on every Monday and Friday. Fighters have a totally different training style. Plus the fights have to be made, the fight prep has to happen, then the fight. Fight camps are how long in the UFC??? I mean anywhere from 8-20 some weeks. Then on the other hand, Bellator has been putting on some fantastic weekly shows that most fans overlook. They have a good mix of vets with up and comers. Guys like Eddie Alvarez, Ben Askren, Joe Warren, Joe Soto, Hector Lombard, etc. The only thing with a weekly show is it does open up the possibility for more fights being scratched due to injuries. That makes for upcoming fights getting pushed back, pushed back, pushed back.

I don't know. I guess it's really up to Dana and Joe Silva. Thing is, I think they have enough talent now to make Unleashed it's weekly program and show 2-3 fights from recently past PPV's to keep the fan's interest. I mean have you ever noticed how many solid fights are on that show only a few weeks after the fight??? They just aired one with the Lesnar vs. Carwin bout. We'll see.

Switchy

Reaction score
Great news, imo. So many "dream fights" which can now potentially happen (most of which involving Jose Aldo, boy do I hope he steps up to 155lbs). This also creates huge oppurtunities for the smaller guys who now have the oppurtunity to make it on the big stage which is what they deserve after the entertaining fights they have been putting on which have just kind of gone "under the radar" to most casual MMA fans.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
This may be the best thing to happen to Mixed Martial Arts is quite some time, now with the WEC merged with the UFC there is no question that UFC is to MMA what the WWE is to pro wrestling.

Not to mention the feather and banta weights will get much more exposure (and are at times far more fun to watch) will gain a hell of a lot more exposure than they did in WEC.. Which is going to do nothing but good for the sport.

But I personally want to see a Aldo/Edgar fight more than anything else

pumpt73

Reaction score
Aldo stepping up to 155 is a possibility, but it may not happen for a year or so. Now that Aldo is going to step up with a UFC title around his waist, he sets a precedent never before seen in the promotion. It's first 145lb champion. He's the face of the division. Much like GSP at 170. Dana wants him to step up to 185 for a "Superfight" with Silva, but it has to stay off for a while. Not saying he won't go, but he will probably have at least 2-3 145lb title defenses before he steps up a weight.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Honestly, I haven't even heard of it since news first broke that the league was starting up. I try to get on sherdog, mmaweekly, and mmajunkie, amongst a few other MMA only sites, and nothing. They may be doing well, but hell, there's tons of fight promotions out there now days.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Aldo stepping up to 155 is a possibility, but it may not happen for a year or so. Now that Aldo is going to step up with a UFC title around his waist, he sets a precedent never before seen in the promotion. It's first 145lb champion. He's the face of the division. Much like GSP at 170. Dana wants him to step up to 185 for a "Superfight" with Silva, but it has to stay off for a while. Not saying he won't go, but he will probably have at least 2-3 145lb title defenses before he steps up a weight.

Great point there.. Ideally I think Aldo could grow to be one of the faces of the UFC much like Silva and GSP and Chuck and Couture in their day... Which could make for a big money "superfight" if/when he does decide to make the jump to 155. I think if he could string together a series of good wins in the UFC octagon at 145 a 155/145 catchweight bout could be awesome with maybe a fighter like Frankie Edgar.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
I love it. The thing about MMA that seperates itself from boxing is that the heavyweights might be the top draws, but they gas out quick and they don't put on long exciting matches. If you watch WEC, the lighter weight classes are where the three or five round classics are formed. Just look at the most recent Cerrone/Varner match.