Young Bucks discuss up coming ladder match with FTR, Jack Perry, more

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

The Young Bucks wrestle FTR in a ladder match for the vacant AEW tag team titles at Dynasty

The Young Bucks held the wrestling world’s collective breath last week on Dynamite.

A week-and-a-half ahead of their tag title match against FTR at the Dynasty pay-per-view, Matt and Nick Jackson–or, ahem, Matthew and Nicholas–starred in a segment where backstage footage was played from All In at Wembley Stadium this past August. It highlighted the altercation behind CM Punk and Jack Perry, neither of whom have been back in an AEW ring since the incident.

Both before and after it rolled, no shortage of questions surrounded the segment.

Now that he no longer works for the company, was it wise to put Punk on AEW programming? Is this part of a larger storyline that will benefit Perry? How would it connect to the Bucks’ ongoing program with FTR’s Dax Harwood and Cash Wheeler? And were the Bucks hesitant about showing the footage?

Matt Jackson addressed the highly debated topic.

“Since we are wrestling FTR at Dynasty, and with it being the first time doing that since All In London, so many feelings and thoughts came rushing back,” said Matt Jackson. “Old wounds were reopened. We decided it was only fair to be transparent and honest with our fans. We needed to give them context about why we feel we came up short at All In London. Our bodies were there in the ring wrestling FTR at Wembley, but our minds were in the back with the scapegoat in the entire situation, Jack Perry. The three of us specifically were wronged that night, and I haven’t gotten over that.”

No strangers to controversy, the Bucks–who are also AEW EVPs–do an extraordinary job of blurring the lines between reality and story. Even when in character, there is truth embedded in all of their promos. Yet, regardless of how people felt about the Perry/Punk segment, Nick Jackson confirmed there was no trepidation or hesitancy surrounding it.

“As EVPs, we were given a task for that week by the boss and we did it to the best of our abilities,” said Nick Jackson. “Zero regret.”

The reaction Jack Perry received this past Friday at the New Japan show in Chicago was outrageous. If that reaction continues, there is no ceiling for Perry in AEW.

“He’s been the next breakout star for a while now and he just needed something controversial to happen to him to open people’s eyes,” said Nick Jackson. “It happened with us early on in our careers, too.”

Matt Jackson was instrumental in bringing Perry to AEW. He watched closely as Perry evolved from Jungle Boy to where he is now. After a sojourn to Japan, he believes Perry is ready to take the next jump in his career.

“Jack Perry was one of my original AEW hires,” said Matt Jackson. “I saw a video clip of him on the indies, and then I went and watched everything I could find. Years prior, I’d heard stories about a nine-year-old boy being brought to wrestling training in Southern California by his celebrity dad Luke Perry. I wondered, whatever happened to that kid? Apparently, he’d been working hard and turning into a heck of a talent. I watched the videos and thought, ‘Whoa. Young, handsome SoCal kid with a great head of hair. Seems misunderstood. Has tons of confidence. He reminds me a lot of me and Nicholas at his age.’

“Coming back from Japan, Jack Perry now has that edge and swagger. And coming off all of this BS he’s been dealing with, he has a chip on his shoulder. He’s a dangerous cat right now and is about to blow up.”

In addition to the excitement surrounding Perry’s inevitable return to AEW, the Bucks plan to steal the show with FTR at Dynasty. Once Sting and Darby Allin vacated the tag titles–defeating the Bucks in Sting’s unforgettable last match at Revolution in March–a tournament was created to crown new champs. The Bucks and FTR advanced from their respective brackets to the finals, and they will meet this Sunday at Dynasty in a ladder match.

For those familiar with the Bucks’ history in Ring of Honor Ladder Wars matches, there is no doubt that spectacular athleticism and unnecessary risk-taking is in store for this Sunday’s tag team title bout.

Ladders, remarkably, bring out the best in the Bucks. And that is a direct result of their upbringing.

“The Young Bucks and ladders are a match made in heaven,” said Matt Jackson. “We’ve been climbing up and down ladders since we were little kids, helping our dad paint houses and install roofs. And we have absolutely zero fear of heights. How can we be afraid of falling when we are the ones purposely jumping off?

“This particular ladder match is a big one for us. We’re self-aware enough to realize that this is probably one of our last ones. Every time you do one of these, you’re shortening your career, and our days are numbered already either way. We’re also in a must-win situation. Our last title run ended prematurely. We’ve got to get these belts and go on a wild run to make up for last time.”

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Really nice to see bucks doing media because It was a pretty legit criticism of them n kenny not doing much of its evps before. Diggin it

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Really nice to see bucks doing media because It was a pretty legit criticism of them n kenny not doing much of its evps before. Diggin it

They mentioned it was rare when they tweeted the story so I assume it's still gonna be rare lol

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
I think some people hate doing interviews (and I can see why with how some people are towards Bucks for the dumbest reasons) but yeah as EVPs they should be doing more. Honestly AEW needs more people doing media for them and local promotion.

On the interview, the big surprise hint pretty much confirms MCMG versus the winners in my mind and the return of our scapeGOAT

Reactions: Canadian Dragon