Xbox 'Durango' Requires All Games to be Installed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Xbox 'Durango' Requires All Games to be Installed
Blu-ray disc drive only used for distribution

Rumors about an anti-used game system in the next Xbox -- codenamed Durango -- have swirled for some time now. Vgleaks posted a number of screenshots today, reportedly displaying information contained in the Durango Xbox Development Kit (XDK). The screens, which IGN sources have verified as accurate, confirm a number of rumored features of the next-generation Microsoft console, including a new high-fidelity Kinect sensor. But perhaps a troubling revelation for used game purchasers, the documentation includes a rather blunt reference to mandatory game installs.

"Every Durango console will have a hard drive, although its exact capacity has not been chosen," reads help documentation in the Durango XDK. "It will be large enough, however, to hold a large number of games. All games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from the optical disc will not be supported."

The documentation goes on to state Durango games will be distributed on Blu-ray discs, but the discs are purely used as a means to install data, and will not be read during gameplay. Also of note: the Durango will feature "Always On, Always Connected" online connectivity. Whether Microsoft will use the always-on functionality as a means of DRM is unclear; the documentation only mentions background updates, similar to those announced for the PlayStation 4.

Such a system could spell big trouble for used game retailers like GameStop, and even larger issues for gamers who depend upon the lower cost of second-hand discs.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/20/xbox-durango-requires-all-games-to-be-installed

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
this is why I do not own an XBox. I get the same crap for free on PSN and don't have to pay a yearly subscription for Live.

This is a shit storm waiting to happen. I bet they will go with a $10 purchase to get the game to work on top of the disk. I can also see this as a deterrent for people not to buy the next XBox

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
I'm definitely not going for a next gen xbox.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I also think I am waiting at least a year to get the next PS so they can work out the kinks so I don't get a bad one right away but we will see.

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
I hear that lol. Made that mistake with the Xbox and have a decent graveyard of them to prove it.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
i really hope that this is not the wave of the future of gaming.