WWE Studios unveils film lineup

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
WWE Studios unveiled its upcoming film slate at the company's business summit, on Saturday morning, in Miami on the eve of "WrestleMania 28."

First out is the Hulk Hogan actioner "No Holds Barred," being released on DVD and other homevid platforms for the first time July 3, through Vivendi Entertainment.

"The Day," the thriller that stars Dominic Monaghan and Shawn Ashmore, bows in August. WWE Studios picked up the film at the Toronto Intl Film Fest. Anchor Bay will distribute the film.

It will follow that up with the Eric McCormack thriller, "Barricade," on Sept. 25, another co-production with Vivendi.

The R-rated horror pic "No One Lives," a co-production with Pathe ("Slumdog Millionaire"), will unspool in January. Pic stars Luke Evans ("Immortals") and WWE's Brodus Clay.

The reboot of the "Leprechaun" franchise, "Leprechaun: Origins," bows in March, as a co-production with Lionsgate and is set to star WWE's Hornswoggle.

Meanwhile, the direct-to-homevid actioner "The Marine: Homefront," will star Randy Orton, when Fox distributes the pic in spring 2013.

The films represent WWE Studio's move back into the horror, crime, sci-fi, action and thriller genres after focusing more on family and drama fare under the previous studio head, Mike Pavone.

The switch back was prompted by "fan feedback," said WWE Studios chief Michael Luisi, at the summit. With WWE's TV shows sticking to its PG rating, the films will enable the company to offer PG-13 and R-rated programming. Move is also seen as a way to up the profile and interest in its homevid releases, especially with new audiences, to increase sales. "For every WWE fan watching these movies, four non-WWE fans also watch," WWE said.

Luisi reiterated that all films WWE produces moving forward will be co-financed and co-produced with other partners, or picked up from film festivals, rather than solely self-financing a slate as it had done in the past. It still has plans to release six to eight projects a year, with most expected to be based on pre-branded franchises and sequels.

WWE stars will also continue to have supporting roles in the films where they fit in and not be forced to carry the entire pic, limiting WWE's potential audience, as a result, Luisi said.

It acquired "The Day" as its first festival pick up last year at Toronto and also sought out films with a presence at Sundance, Cannes and AFM for the first time in 2011.

The projects will also be promoted heavily across WWE's various platforms, including its weekly TV shows, which are viewed by 15 million people in the U.S., websites that boast 3.5 million uniques, readers of its magazine and millions of followers on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Open Road teamed up with WWE to promote "The Grey" across those channels.

NO HOLDS BARRED on freaking DVD how sweet but not as sweet as the Funkasaurus in a Movie with a hobbit.

The Stunner

Reaction score
I thought Orton was out of the Marine movie for going AWOL twice in the real marines?

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I thought Orton was out of the Marine movie for going AWOL twice in the real marines?

Yeah I thought the same thing. But I just pulled this off of Variety, so I will look for more info.

I just looked at IMDB and he is still listed as being in the flick there too.

The Stunner

Reaction score
Just found this a bit ago.

TMZ has updated their story on WWE pulling Randy Orton from The Marine 3 after Marines complained about Orton receiving a bad conduct discharge in 1999 after going AWOL twice. Cpl. Mike Vinn told TMZ:

"On behalf of all the Marines from Aco 1/4 98-02, that were outraged to hear about Randy Orton portraying a Marine in the next movie "Marine: Homefront", I'd like to thank the WWE for pulling Orton from the role when they heard about his disloyal service to the United States Marine Corps. It shows respect for not only the unit I had served in, but for every person that has ever defended this nation. Thank you WWE."

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Just found this a bit ago.

I am quite fine with it as Orton would be stone faced with no facial expressions though out the whole movie. I would rather them use Jericho.

The Stunner

Reaction score
So true. When he shows emotion my screen cracks I swear.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I gotta see that movie with Brodus in it, I bet he is epic in it.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I'd rather they just not make another Marine movie actually, the first two were brutal. I will be buying No Holds Barred on DVD the day it comes out and I really hope there's some sort of commentary track for that.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I'd rather they just not make another Marine movie actually, the first two were brutal. I will be buying No Holds Barred on DVD the day it comes out and I really hope there's some sort of commentary track for that.

Seconded on the DVD front there Brother. I really hope Brodus dances in the movies and tells someone to call their momma

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I'd rather they just not make another Marine movie actually, the first two were brutal.

The second one was quite awesome!

[MENTION=51]Fuji Vice[/MENTION]
[MENTION=121]Porkchop Express[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1]#HEEL[/MENTION]
[MENTION=53]Professor Booty[/MENTION]

Castiel

Reaction score
I got to say, looks like they're doing things right now. See No Evil was pretty great, then they just made a bunch of crappy family movies and stuff... not focusing on only WWE stars in their movies is smart too, opens them to a wider audience as some may just not like wrestling and not want to watch something with a wrestler starring. Some decent names involved here too.

The whole Orton story... at least he knows what's it like to be a Marine, more then Cena or DiBiase! I think they're getting too up in arms about the whole thing but I agree that he shouldn't star in it anyways.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
The whole Orton story... at least he knows what's it like to be a Marine, more then Cena or DiBiase! I think they're getting too up in arms about the whole thing but I agree that he shouldn't star in it anyways.

As a Marine, I disagree with that. He knows nothing about being a Marine if he went AWOL twice. He knows no more than Cena or DiBiase.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
As a Marine, I disagree with that. He knows nothing about being a Marine if he went AWOL twice. He knows no more than Cena or DiBiase.

I'd think most people would rather have Cena, a guy who at the very least shows a strong sense of national pride and respect for the armed forces, playing a Marine rather than a deserter like Orton.