WS Movie Review Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
Cube Zero (2004)

MV5BMjAyNDEwODcyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI3MjIxNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: A young programmer whose job is to watch over the reality-warping Cube defies orders to rescue an innocent mother trapped in one of its rooms.

Rating: 5.5/10

Very saw-like movies, so if you enjoy the sort of movie that is set around a 'game' you'll enjoy it for sure. I'd recommend the first movie over this but this is still a pretty good prequel. I think what's coolest about it is you get to see outside of the Cube itself, which I always was intrigued about. It really does a good job making you feel trapped & the visuals are great stuff. Plenty of atmosphere. They do a great job disguising the lower budget in these movies.

Office Uprising (2018)

MV5BODJlNDcxNzMtODBlYS00Yzc1LTg2NDEtNDJkYTlkNmM0NWY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: A laid-back worker at a weapons factory discovers a military energy drink is turning his co-workers into zombies.

Rating: 6/10

Fun popcorn flick that slid under the radar for me. If you enjoy silly zombie movies with a pretty solid cast then you'll enjoy it no doubt. Good action, dialogue & pacing, doesn't overstay its welcome. Stand-out for me was Karan Soni, he's really great, made me laugh a lot, I thought he was quite hilarious in Deadpool too. I knew I recognised him from something, didn't quite put my finger on it until afterwards. Jane Levy has always been quite underrated I feel. Yeah just a fun movie where it's pretty impossible not to have a good time with it.

Brothers (2009)
MV5BMTkyMTY5MTcxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTI3MDE3Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: While on tour in Afghanistan, Sam's copter is shot down and he is presumed dead. Back home, it is his screw-up brother who looks after the family. Sam does return, but with a lot of excess baggage.

Rating: 7.5/10

Fantastic performances in this, I think some of the most impressive Tobey Maguire has been, surprised he didn't go on to do more serious roles after this. Very heavy movie, probably why it's been so long since I rewatched it. :lol There's some scenes in particular that just make you so uncomfortable with the tension & drama, it's really well acted. Especially the family dinner scene comes to mind. Highly recommend this one, don't sleep on it.​

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Resident Evil (2002)

683290_413.jpg

Synopsis: A special military unit fights a powerful, out-of-control supercomputer and hundreds of scientists who have mutated into flesh-eating creatures after a laboratory accident.

Rating: 6/10

I think it's a lot better of a film than it gets credit for and people often look at the series as a whole rather than just this film standing on its own. I think it's way better than the later sequels, actually feels like Resident Evil in some areas. Always liked the lab parts at the beginning showing how the outbreak happens. Now it doesn't have much in common with the games but the music is fantastic, and it's the most horror feeling one. Milla Jovovich is great too IMO as Alice, even though she's a totally new character fans aren't familar with. Probably say my favourite actor in this is Colin Salmon though. He's very underrated. Fun movie as long as you don't take it too seriously or try to compare it with the games too hard.

The Road (2009)

MV5BMTI3NDg2ODYxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTA4NjI5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: In a dangerous post-apocalyptic world, an ailing father defends his son as they slowly travel to the sea.

Rating: 8/10

Very heavy, emotional film but really well worth watching. Viggo Mortensen is excellent. This film actually gave me some heavy Last of Us vibes when I first watched it as well after playing the game. So if you like that, it should check some other boxes for you. Especially the scenary and the world it creates. Feels so barren and hostile. So many tense moments in this, it keeps you on the edge of your seat just seeing them trying to survive. This is guaranteed to hit you hard with the emotional moments, which there's plenty of.​

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Never seen The Road but I know it inspired a lot of Last of Us

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
The Sadness (2022)

MV5BNWZjYWI5MmItZTcxYS00MTY2LWE4NDEtZjJmYzc2N2E2M2I5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU3OTMxNzI@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: As Taiwan succumbs to a viral pandemic that transforms peaceful citizens into sadistic, bloodthirsty maniacs, a young couple must battle to be reunited before they too become infected.

This movie was batshit insane. Even reading up beforehand about it being brutal and gory, I still was surprised and really taken aback at how violent some of the scenes are. This is incredibly graphic. Like if you got a weak stomach, probably wouldn't recommend. My goodness.

Was very impressed with this, the acting feels raw, realistic and hits you hard in scenes. Main characters make smart decisions and are easy to root for. Death scenes are very graphic but well shot. Plot felt quite unique, reminded me of 28 Days Later with the infected but way more enraged and sadistic, like they still are human in a sense but can't stop themselves from comitting atrocious acts. It's very disturbing.

I could see how the ending might sour some people on it but I personally liked it. It's very bleak. Makes you think a lot.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
The Football Factory (2004)

the-football-factory-poster.jpg

Synopsis: Tommy Johnson is a member of the Chelsea Firm, whose life revolves around booze, drugs and violence, but whose increasing nightmares make him question his choice of life. Shot in documentary style, this film shows a realistic view of football hooliganism.

Rating: 7/10

Always preferred this just a little bit more than Green Street, although they are both pretty entertaining hooligan based films. This is just a tad more gritty/realistic which I prefer about it and I find the dialogue to land a bit more, with well placed comedy in there too. Also enjoy the narration by Danny Dyer, one of his better performances. Frank Harper I'd say is the biggest stand-out actor in this. Pretty cool that Rockstar Games produced this movie, I didn't realise that fact until rewatching it.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)

MV5BNmQ0ODBhMjUtNDRhOC00MGQzLTk5MTAtZDliODg5NmU5MjZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUyOTg3Njg@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: Harry Potter, an eleven-year-old orphan, discovers that he is a wizard and is invited to study at Hogwarts. Even as he escapes a dreary life and enters a world of magic, he finds trouble awaiting him.

Absolutely adore this movie. It has been a while now since I watched the whole thing but I'm so glad Netflix added these. Really had a lot of fun seeing this again, made me very nostalgic about watching the series for the first time when I was younger. Visuals still hold up really well and the special effects. Young cast have amazing chemistry right from the get go, and I remembered how much Emma Watson makes me laugh in this one. Hermione has so many good lines. Got me teary eyed seeing the likes of Robbie Coltrane, Richard Harris and Alan Rickman. So many perfect casting choices.

Seven Pounds (2008)

MV5BMTU0NzY0MTY5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY3MDEwMg@@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis: Ben Thomas, an IRS agent, is guilt-ridden for his mistake that killed seven people including his fiancee. He embarks on an extraordinary journey in order to change the lives of seven strangers.

Rating: 7.5/10

Very emotional movie. Will Smith and Rosario Dawson have amazing chemistry in this, I also thought Woody Harrelson was great in it even though he's not in it as long as the other two, his character still ends up being very important to the story. I teared up a couple times during it, especially the ending.

• Love
Reactions: Lethal and Chris